TV Home Forum

Jeremy Kyle Axed

Latest: ITV axe show - page 20 onwards (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Having exhausted the outrage the press coverage now seems to have taken a turn

“Show not at fault says Family”

https://news.sky.com/story/jeremy-kyle-guest-death-show-not-at-fault-for-mans-death-says-fiancees-family-11722638

To be honest, I think that's irrelevant now. The conversation has exploded far beyond whether the show was responsible for the man's death.

True. The fire as it were has been put out yet some are adamant on blowing on the embers.
WH
Whataday Founding member
When the first actor to play Mark in Eastenders committed suicide after being plagued by a certain tabloid newspaper, should that newspaper have closed?

Yes.
BR
Brekkie

https://news.sky.com/story/jeremy-kyle-guest-death-show-not-at-fault-for-mans-death-says-fiancees-family-11722638

To be honest, I think that's irrelevant now. The conversation has exploded far beyond whether the show was responsible for the man's death.

Do agree with that though maybe ITV should have waited more than two days before making a final decision whilst other stories were emerging. If they truly were investigating the programme I can't see how two days was long enough to conduct such an investigation.
GO
gottago

Do agree with that though maybe ITV should have waited more than two days before making a final decision whilst other stories were emerging. If they truly were investigating the programme I can't see how two days was long enough to conduct such an investigation.

But axing it was to do with the brand, not the investigation. The show’s general vileness has been exposed in the most public way possible and was dragging the wider ITV brand down with it. They were absolutely right to drop the axe when they did.
WH
Whataday Founding member

As made clear in the cancellation statement, the investigation is still ongoing. ITV axed the show due to "the gravity of recent events" which is PR speak for "the sh*t hitting the fan".
RA
radiolistener

As made clear in the cancellation statement, the investigation is still ongoing. ITV axed the show due to "the gravity of recent events" which is PR speak for "the sh*t hitting the fan".

Or as an excuse to get rid of it as it doesn't really 'fit' the rather bland ITV daytime schedules anymore?
JO
Jon

Or as an excuse to get rid of it as it doesn't really 'fit' the rather bland ITV daytime schedules anymore?

It’s got nothing to do with it not being bland.

It’s because it’s exploitative, bullying and vicious.

Apart from all that it was a good fit.
Last edited by Jon on 18 May 2019 7:29pm
DJ
DJ Dave

Yeah but if you're a big boss at itv and you don't particularly like JK this is a good time to say "bye, bye".

I have seen it done in radio, have a award winning breakfast show but the new PC doesn't like them so it gets axed.
Nathan and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
They’ve obviously just put up with it due to the high ratings for years.

Notice that it was only fairly recently that Jeremy Kyle was included in that promo that runs at 5:59, previously (like it does now) it just jumped from Lorraine to This Morning.
FA
fanoftv
They had launched a new promo for the show the week before it was pulled with the theme of a storm.
JA
JAS84
That's because they'd started airing new episodes at the time. This current series ended up only running for 5 episodes, though another 5 were probably filmed but not aired.
GW
GarWill99
the one Andi Peters presented the name escapes me.

I believe the name which escaped you is Ejector Seat

However, I would probably give it a few months then bring it back with far more of a focus on aftercare and support - this is something the show should have focused on from the beginning and I think it's really bad that they haven't. I'm personally quite surprised at the cancellation of the show given it's long-run on TV and the fact it is such a successful show for ITV.

But then, you'd have the tabloids recycling the story to make sure that it remains fresh in people's minds when it is aired. ITV did the right thing by giving it the chop.

Newer posts