Split from BT Sport - (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
Looks good on the images in the tweet.
LL
Larry the Loafer
AxG posted:
Sure it's bland with just 'BT' in a circle, but there's still the surrounding elements left to see. Like the BBC rebrand in 1997, don't judge it by just the logo.

But Lambie-Nairn crucially said that keeping the boxes retains its "BBC-ness" otherwise the letters BBC could stand for anything. That particular BT logo (well, the letters) has been in place for nearly 30 years. Putting the letters in a bland font inside a circle just doesn't look like it stands for British Telecom.
OR
orange
If I’m not mistaken hasn’t there been a rumoured rebrand for a good while now? I’m sure I remember seeing something like this get posted on here when a trademark was submitted or something of that sort... Getting Deja vu, anyway!

(Edit: I was right but it’s already been mentioned - should’ve read the thread more carefully, sorry!)
JO
Jonwo
This video from Cheddar does give an idea of why BT rebranded to a more flat logo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfzEPtLPnP4
MD
mdtauk
This logo leaked a few years ago, but for whatever reason they delayed putting it into use.

ID
Identity
Very ea games I think
VM
VMPhil
AxG posted:
Sure it's bland with just 'BT' in a circle, but there's still the surrounding elements left to see. Like the BBC rebrand in 1997, don't judge it by just the logo.

But Lambie-Nairn crucially said that keeping the boxes retains its "BBC-ness" otherwise the letters BBC could stand for anything. That particular BT logo (well, the letters) has been in place for nearly 30 years. Putting the letters in a bland font inside a circle just doesn't look like it stands for British Telecom.

Exactly. To be honest the Transdiffusion tweet misses the point. When the BBC rebrand happened there was controversy over spending money on ‘straightening the letters up’. What they actually did was create a logo that fixed numerous technical problems such as scaling and actually looking good on a TV screen or computer monitor, reducing it to single colour to save costs, and creating a branding framework to stop each new BBC division from creating its own completely different logo. But the crucial thing is they managed to do all this while still making it look like The BBC Logo.

So I have no problems with a logo that is simple or minimal. In fact often they make for the best logo designs. Think Apple, the Golden Arches, Shell, Nike. The problem with this is that it’s so generic it could equally stand for Bluetooth or Berk Today as much as it could stand for British Telecom.

Also, it’s going to take them ages to change all the branding on the phone boxes! /s
AJ
AJ

PA
Parker
I'd love to know how much they paid for this & read the guff trotted out by the creators to justify it. I can just hear the presentation
now... ' the circle represents us all coming together, one family of media outlets, encompassing.... blaa blaa blaa, the letters represent....er BT Rolling Eyes
MO
Moz
But the crucial thing is they managed to do all this while still making it look like The BBC Logo.

Well in that it's still the letters B, B and C in boxes - but apart from that it's quite different from the last one. The new BT logo looks like the BT logo!

The problem with this is that it’s so generic it could equally stand for Bluetooth or Berk Today as much as it could stand for British Telecom.

BT doesn't stand for British Telecom any more - in the same way KFC doesn't stand for Kentucky Fried Chicken, and BHS didn't stand for British Home Stores.

Also, it’s going to take them ages to change all the branding on the phone boxes! /s

What's a phone box? Get with the times!
JA
Jake
AJ posted:

If we still had the round pound I think that'd be quite a nice logo.
JA
Jamesypoo
Moz posted:
BT doesn't stand for British Telecom any more - in the same way KFC doesn't stand for Kentucky Fried Chicken, and BHS didn't stand for British Home Stores.

Try telling that to KFC and the last iteration of BHS...
AJ, sjhoward and bilky asko gave kudos

Newer posts