TV Home Forum

Jeremy Kyle Axed

Latest: ITV axe show - page 20 onwards (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
Putting The Chase on twice a day might be seen as overkill and hurt it in the long term.

I imagine ITV are already asking for pitches for replacements. I’m not sure how long turnaround could be to launch a 10-20 part studio show but could they feasibly get a show for the Autumn
WH
Whataday Founding member
And to think people have been saying for years (before recent events) that they should axe it

Yes, quite rightly in my opinion. It was an embarrassment, whatever the ratings.

The ratings since the axe fell are in my opinion more to do with what has replaced it, rather than because Kyle was some sort of untouchable beacon of broadcasting.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
I expect that ITV may trial a number of pilots in that slot to see what works best like they did with 5pm back in the day.

I can see them still wanting some kind of audience participation show there, perhaps something uplifting and feel-good, the antithesis of Kyle. A bit like an Oprah or Ricki Lake type show. Probably presented by Rochelle who seems like flavour of the month.
MD
MrDexB
Ricki Lake did have some of that same relationship rubbish too, although she once had an episode with a RuPaul interview and performance and Davina in the audience. But if it was to be done like Ricki and have some of the same theming as the original show, it would have to be really done very well without going too far as Jeremy did.

MR
mr_vivian
Jonwo posted:
Putting The Chase on twice a day might be seen as overkill and hurt it in the long term.

I imagine ITV are already asking for pitches for replacements. I’m not sure how long turnaround could be to launch a 10-20 part studio show but could they feasibly get a show for the Autumn

I disagree that it would hurt the chase by having it on at 9.25am and then 5pm.

Unless they were exactly the same episode shown then I don't see the issue here. There's plenty of episodes they can show.

I think itv are going to have to mix it up until they get the right show for the slot and that could take years to get right.

It's the perfect playground right now. I'm at work anyway at that time but hopefully they'll experiment a little. It could be the best thing to happen to itv in years.
KE
kernow

I think itv are going to have to mix it up until they get the right show for the slot and that could take years to get right.

Indeed, it could take years, in the same way it took years for them to find the right show for the 5pm slot.

Following the end of Home and Away in 2000, it took almost a decade (until 2009) for them to find a show that would last, The Chase, which has now been on air for a decade, although some would say that Crossroads might still be going today if they hadn't messed around with it in 2003.
VM
VMPhil

Indeed, it could take years, in the same way it took years for them to find the right show for the 5pm slot.

Following the end of Home and Away in 2000, it took almost a decade (until 2009) for them to find a show that would last, The Chase, which has now been on air for a decade, although some would say that Crossroads might still be going today if they hadn't messed around with it in 2003.

That’s not strictly true. They found success in The Paul O’Grady Show, it’s just they had the small problem of losing it to another broadcaster!
DJ
DJ Dave
Christopher Maloney and his nan have had a good idea that Liverpool Echo reckon nobody else has thought of, put Judge Rinder on at 9.25am Rolling Eyes
BR
Brekkie
If they want a show filmed up in Salford they could always revive The Anthony Cotton Show. Laughing Laughing Laughing
MA
mannewskev
What about an extra hour of Lorraine to fill the slot? Maybe bring in a co-host for that portion and make it like NBC Today's fourth hour with Hoda and Jenna.
AA
Aaron_2015
The Chase repeats is surely the best way to guarantee a healthy audience, and I think there is enough of a gap between the 5pm airing and 9.25am slot to get away with it (indeed probably any afternoon show). If they moved an afternoon show I think Tenable would actually have a decent chance in the morning slot. Actually how does Tenables ratings compare to Real Deal in it's usual 3pm slot?

I think showing The Chase twice every day would start to damage it eventually. With the daytime repeats at the weekends, the Celebrity version and the Family version I think The Chase is probably on enough already. If they added a morning repeat the show and it’s spin offs would be airing 12 - 14 times a week.
NL
Ne1L C
The Chase repeats is surely the best way to guarantee a healthy audience, and I think there is enough of a gap between the 5pm airing and 9.25am slot to get away with it (indeed probably any afternoon show). If they moved an afternoon show I think Tenable would actually have a decent chance in the morning slot. Actually how does Tenables ratings compare to Real Deal in it's usual 3pm slot?

I think showing The Chase twice every day would start to damage it eventually. With the daytime repeats at the weekends, the Celebrity version and the Family version I think The Chase is probably on enough already. If they added a morning repeat the show and it’s spin offs would be airing 12 - 14 times a week.

Agreed.There is a danger of The Chase reaching overkill now.

Newer posts