The Newsroom

Channels reporting of their own stories

(May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
Mintbro
How much control do the ptb at ITV and the BBC have regarding the reporting of stories concerning their channels? I imagine there's quite a few people at ITV who would rather ITV was reporting its current situation.
WO
Woodpecker
How much control do the ptb at ITV and the BBC have regarding the reporting of stories concerning their channels? I imagine there's quite a few people at ITV who would rather ITV was reporting its current situation.

Not quite sure what you’re getting at here. Are you saying that you think that some people at ITV would rather they didn’t have to report on the current Jeremy Kyle business? If so, do remember that ITV’s news is produced by ITN, which is a separate company (albeit owned 40% by ITV), so they can report on things at an arm’s length from ITV, as it were.
BR
Brekkie
PTB?

If anything ITV News is far more independent of ITV itself than the BBC, and certainly in Strictly season you see more back slapping stories on BBC News than you do on ITV. On the whole though channels report pretty fairly on such issues - far better than the press who will often ignore even issues with other publications and instead defend themselves by finding ways to attack the people calling them out.
JB
JasonB
PTB?

Powers that be.
DO
dosxuk
It always amuses me when you get stories about the BBC being reported on by the BBC, with comments like "nobody from the BBC was available to comment".

Bonus points earned when it's a story about BBC News to boot.
Newsroom24, W1LL and BBI45 gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
It always amuses me when you get stories about the BBC being reported on by the BBC, with comments like "nobody from the BBC was available to comment".

And they send a reporter to report on the story by standing outside Broadcasting House
MC
mccanmat
Reporting a piece to camera outside somewhere can sometimes be tedious...bit like a royal correspondent standing outside Buckingham Palace and reading a press release that they could have done in the studio
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I sometimes wonder what the point is of sending Amanda Hugginkiss somewhere to stand outside somewhere like Buckingham Palace for the sake of a two way link as an insert into a bulletin.

For the courts, yes, okay that's understandable. For most other things though...
MC
mccanmat
I suppose also the blindingly obvious “bad weather must mean reporters showing they are standing out in bad weather”
SP
Steve in Pudsey

And even more points when it's Newswatch, the programme that BBC News management set up to take comments on their output which is failing to get a response from BBC News management.
RI
Richard

The Newsnight programme about Newsnight which was presented by Eddie Mair had the memorable line “No one from Newsnight was available to comment” followed by a knowing look.
Night Thoughts, Brekkie and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
QN
Quatorzine Neko

The Newsnight programme about Newsnight which was presented by Eddie Mair had the memorable line “No one from Newsnight was available to comment” followed by a knowing look.

Wasn't it that one, at 8:59?
[warning: sensitive topics in this video include sexual assault]

I remember BuzzFeed also once published an article about the "16 times the BBC was meta as hell"… https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc-bbc

Newer posts