« Topics
Mouseboy332,604 posts since 10 Feb 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnd7v9y5TQ

When I first heard of this. The infamous Jenny Jones case came to mind. It was a massive massive story in the mid 90s. That show never aired. She and the show was sued, she actually had to testify and the judgement was $25mil. That whole thing was sad and disgusting.
I'm here to give you something to talk about!
https://youtu.be/JSy2SVdtd0U
Woodpecker and Rexogamer gave kudos
Hatton Cross3,183 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
I have an idea for a replacement.
A new daily hour long soap opera based around a daily TV show 'The Kyle Jeremy Show' which looks into the lives and issues of some of the guests, all of whom are viewers that called in to appear on the programme.

Best of both worlds. Soap opera and a regular scripted slanging matches on the 'set' of the show.
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
Rexogamer gave kudos
Charlie Wells3,761 posts since 26 Nov 2003 Moderator
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
After the anonymous insider interview on the BBC News yesterday afternoon along with other reports in the tabloids the decision to axe The Jeremy Kyle Show was pretty much inevitable. It was fairly clear that the programme had become a toxic brand, in terms of what was shown on screen and what allegedly went on behind the scenes. Chances are if it had returned it was likely advertisers would probablywant to avoid being associated with (at least for the first couple weeks).

In the long term I wouldn't be surprised if Judge Rinder gets shown in the 9.25am slot, as I imagine it appeals to a similar audience type whilst being less controversial in content. However for the next month or few I can't imagine it being moved to that slot, as ITV will presumably be keen to ensure the press don't start making any comparisons and tarnishing the Judge Rinder programme/brand. Showing programmes such as Dickinson's Real Deal (or even a Tipping Point / Chase repeat) ensure that in the short term no comparisons can be made between replacement programme(s) and the now axed Jeremy Kyle show.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
mat76, London Lite and 2 others
  • BBI45
  • Rexogamer
gave kudos
Woodpecker420 posts since 19 Jan 2018
Central (West) Midlands Today
From my understanding of watching the show when it first aired in 2005 (believe it or not, I was five years old) up until now, Jeremy has no control over the lie detector tests.

He just reads the results out. Compare his appearances on his own to show to that of his appearances on Good Morning Britain.

People bashing him is just not okay, the people who appear on the show aren’t forced. Even Christopher Maloney, former The X Factor contestant, has appeared on the show with his mum and has said that the whole team had treated them well.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you are talking absolute rubbish. A man has taken his own life as a result of appearing on this programme, and you have the audacity to go round saying that Jeremy Kyle himself is the victim?! You're obviously a fan, which is fair enough - personally, I think the man is ghastly and am glad to see the back of his programme - but I think you really need to put this into perspective.

You seem to be suggesting that the way he acts on his eponymous programme is a persona made up for said programme - maybe so, but does that excuse him belittling, goading and shouting at his guests, many of whom have mental health and/or substance abuse problems? I think not. Even if, for argument's sake, he is the loveliest man in the world off-camera - which many accounts suggest is not the case - I think that the fact that he chooses to act in this way towards such people on camera, embarrassing them on national TV, speaks volumes about his character.

As for your next point, maybe strictly speaking, the guests weren't forced into appearing on the show - but they were reportedly heavily manipulated into doing so, as has already been mentioned. They were also reportedly encouraged to get drunk the night before, repeatedly phoned up by the production company in the middle of the night so that they'd be tired and agitated on set the next morning, and goaded by the producers about things fellow guests may or may not have said about them. So no, maybe they weren't forced into doing anything - but if reports are true, situations were certainly engineered in such a way as to create maximum conflict and drama. All of this, done in the name of ratings, at the expense of the wellbeing of said guests, many of whom, as I have said above, are in one way or another, highly vulnerable.