« Topics
BM11865 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
I wonder if San Marino qualifying will persuade one or more of Luxembourg, Monaco and Andorra to consider a return if they can sort out their financial problems. Luxembourg was the original kings of picking artists with no prior link to the country.

It didn't persuade any of them back in 2014. Monaco's TMC is now fully owned by the French TF1, I think Monaco's only EBU member now is a radio station so that's unlikely.

TMC put out a statement confirming their absence from this years contest last year - so must still be eligible despite TF1 full ownership of them since 2016.
Andora broadcaster always sounds like it fancies another go but never gets the funding.
Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
Tumble Tower1,287 posts since 13 Apr 2007
HTV West Points West
Eurovision Song Contest 2019 First Semi-Final Results

Here are the results, which were announced in a random order at 22:04 BST.

My desired qualifiers: Cyprus , Poland, Slovenia , Australia , Estonia , Greece , Hungary, Belarus , Serbia , Belgium.

Actual qualifiers (in order of announcement): Greece , Belarus , Serbia , Cyprus , Estonia , Czech Republic, Australia , Iceland, San Marino Slovenia ,

Bold entries represent the actual qualifiers that match my preferences.

OUT: Belgium, Finland, Georgia, Hungary, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal.

My comments about which countries qualfied, and which didn't, are available here:
https://nemesis-nick.blogspot.com/2019/05/eurovision-song-contest-2019-first-semi.html#ESC2019_SF1_results
B1 = BBC One B2 = BBC Two B3 = BBC Three B4 = BBC Four B5 = CBBC Channel B6 = CBeebies B7 = BBC News 24 B8 = BBC Parliament

I am 12 ... with 35 years experience
ChipperBird63 posts since 20 Jun 2017
Anglia (East) Look East
No peep about it on the official twitter - which is odd considering how active it was tonight.

It’s seemed to occur dead on 22:10, when it should have finished. No announcer to apologise though. Would they not have one recorded just in case?

I got the impression that the BBC Eurovision Twitter mostly had timed tweets tonight rather than proper live ones, probably just needed to quickly splice the footage in and jobs done. That said it was rather ironic that around the same time they dropped off air - they posted a joke tweet of Portugal's faked death ending about them not making it to the final : P

But yes, BBC 4 doesn't seem to really have proper continuity looking after it - the screen was blank for a good minute or two before the breakdown caption even appeared. I guess they figured that by the time they had fixed the link, people would only get the credits so it was better to just let the show finish. Rather lucky the link gave out after the results were in - any earlier and BBC might of been in trouble with the EBU.
WW Update4,624 posts since 6 Feb 2007
I wonder if San Marino qualifying will persuade one or more of Luxembourg, Monaco and Andorra to consider a return if they can sort out their financial problems. Luxembourg was the original kings of picking artists with no prior link to the country.

Liechtenstein is another potential entrant if its sole TV station becomes a member of EBU. Here's an article from two years ago:

http://esctoday.com/152028/liechtenstein-1-fl-tv-applies-ebu-membership-sets-eyes-esc-2019/
Josiah.30 posts since 5 Feb 2016
London BBC World
RTE’s feed was fine and stayed live throughout to the end. Surprised they couldn’t take a dirty feed from them - at least the comments are in English from Marty Whelan. BBC’s feed was behind RTE’s by a second or two but the closing sting was quite a few seconds c15 even between RTE finishing and BBC coming off the apology caption into it. Odd

I watched SVT1's feed on SVT Play, and it was fine too.
mrwish9 posts since 30 Jul 2014
Central (West) Midlands Today
Do the broadcaster's need to take all the commercial breaks?

Been watching both Een and SBS, and SBS have taken every single ad break and Een have taken none that I've seen.

La 2 in Spain took all the breaks just to show promos for programmes on TVE channels (as well as the sponsor).

TVE haven’t shown actual adverts on their channels for years but they still always take these breaks.
TIGHazard394 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
https://www.timesofisrael.com/worker-injured-in-eurovision-venue-accident-dies/

Quote:

An Israeli man injured on Monday when a lighting rig fell on him during preparations for the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest at the Expo Tel Aviv fairgrounds has died, hospital officials said Wednesday.

Fuldi Schwartz, 66, was unloading equipment from a truck in a parking lot adjacent to the fairgrounds when a wheeled lighting rig toppled over onto him, causing serious head injuries, broken ribs, a punctured lung and a spinal injury, according to the family.
BM11865 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
https://www.timesofisrael.com/worker-injured-in-eurovision-venue-accident-dies/

Quote:

An Israeli man injured on Monday when a lighting rig fell on him during preparations for the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest at the Expo Tel Aviv fairgrounds has died, hospital officials said Wednesday.

Fuldi Schwartz, 66, was unloading equipment from a truck in a parking lot adjacent to the fairgrounds when a wheeled lighting rig toppled over onto him, causing serious head injuries, broken ribs, a punctured lung and a spinal injury, according to the family.

Terrible news.
I wonder if they will briefly pay tribute to him on Saturday night.
Quatorzine Neko (previously Le Neko) 235 posts since 29 Aug 2016
France 4 broadcasted the semi-final without any major technical problem (only minor, and short, sound issues). And during the breaks, they didn't show anything else than what took place in Tel Aviv.

However, the commentators are still awful here in France, chatting more or less meaninglessly instead of translating the anchors' interventions and interviews, sometimes even resulting in amputating one or two seconds of songs.
« Bah déjà on aurait une cabane… »