TV Home Forum

The FA Cup to be shared by the BBC and ITV

Split from The Sport Thread (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BM
BM11
Jon posted:
BM11 posted:

Whilst they’re losing Scottish Football and now the FA Cup, I can’t see them winding down the service. A new 3 year deal comes into force this year, the next deal after this tends to be announced midway through the second season. Same pretty much goes for the Champions League, and the second year of BT’s current deal begins in September, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard something before the end of the year.

There was a rumour that Sky were putting in a bid to get CL coverage back. Whilst it’s a shame BT don’t offer any matches FTA, it’s coverage is superb and a credit to the service. I’d be sorry to see BT go if they lost the rights.

ITV would like Sky to get the champions league back - it would increase the pressure for the final to be added to the protected list because they wouldn't be a free Youtube stream like BT offered last year.

Unless they offered a free YouTube stream like BT offered last year.

I can't see Sky offering such a feed unless contracted to do so (What does BT get out of it?)
The only reason things don't get added is newspapers tend to like Sky - but a look at social media during the nations league showed a lot of anger.
JA
japitts
Jarv posted:
Do wonder what the future for BT sport is, 2 seasons of Champions League football, 2 FA Cup, 3 Premier league, 1 Scottish Football? Is it being wound down slowly, when do Champions League rights come up for renewal?

BT don't just hold football rights.
BM
BM11
Jarv posted:
Do wonder what the future for BT sport is, 2 seasons of Champions League football, 2 FA Cup, 3 Premier league, 1 Scottish Football? Is it being wound down slowly, when do Champions League rights come up for renewal?

BT don't just hold football rights.

I suspect women's tennis will soon go to Amazon to join the men's matches.
JO
Jon
BM11 posted:
Jon posted:
BM11 posted:
ITV would like Sky to get the champions league back - it would increase the pressure for the final to be added to the protected list because they wouldn't be a free Youtube stream like BT offered last year.

I can't see Sky offering such a feed unless contracted to do so (What does BT get out of it?)

As I said in my other post.

Quote:
it’s not like BT make the final free to view out of the goodness of their heart. They do so as that was a small part of the deal that got them the rights. If Sky need to do that to get the rights they will
JO
Jon
Yes the deal was for all games "home and abroad" and quite simply was part of the condition when arranging the test match that it would be broadcast exclusively on Sky.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2008/nov/03/englandrugbyunionteam-anglowelshcup

So pakokelso it is you who are "incorrect".

Yes, there is a similar thing in place for England football friendlies.
ST
Ste Founding member
Yes the deal was for all games "home and abroad" and quite simply was part of the condition when arranging the test match that it would be broadcast exclusively on Sky.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2008/nov/03/englandrugbyunionteam-anglowelshcup

So pakokelso it is you who are "incorrect".

Did the teams official rights holder get any compensation for this e.g. BBC in the case of RFU?
JO
Jon
I assume rights to these games wouldn’t be sold until the fixtures are announced, they’re different from the Autumn internationals.

Although I’d suspect the WRU would get a cut.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jon posted:
BM11 posted:

Whilst they’re losing Scottish Football and now the FA Cup, I can’t see them winding down the service. A new 3 year deal comes into force this year, the next deal after this tends to be announced midway through the second season. Same pretty much goes for the Champions League, and the second year of BT’s current deal begins in September, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard something before the end of the year.

There was a rumour that Sky were putting in a bid to get CL coverage back. Whilst it’s a shame BT don’t offer any matches FTA, it’s coverage is superb and a credit to the service. I’d be sorry to see BT go if they lost the rights.

Didn't BT also put it on a Freeview channel also?
JO
Jon
Jon posted:
BM11 posted:

Didn't BT also put it on a Freeview channel also?

Originally yes there was BT Sport Showcase, but that was closed down after the first UEFA contract finished.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Confirmed ....

JO
Jon
You’d think they’d be able to buy BT out of their current contract to get it a season or two earlier.

ITV do have some first picks, which so don’t think BT did?
UK
UKnews
Yes - BBC have all the first picks, now ITV will have first picks in second round, fourth round and Quarter Finals. In other rounds they’ll have second and third picks.

Edit: ITV have all fifth and sixth picks, from rounds 1-5, so more games live from the first two rounds. Not clear what happens with replays, first alternating between the BBC and ITV?
Last edited by UKnews on 23 May 2019 4:24pm

Newer posts