« Topics
Jarv97 posts since 8 Oct 2017
Anglia (East) Look East
Do wonder what the future for BT sport is, 2 seasons of Champions League football, 2 FA Cup, 3 Premier league, 1 Scottish Football? Is it being wound down slowly, when do Champions League rights come up for renewal?
nwtv20038,378 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
Do wonder what the future for BT sport is, 2 seasons of Champions League football, 2 FA Cup, 3 Premier league, 1 Scottish Football? Is it being wound down slowly, when do Champions League rights come up for renewal?

Whilst they’re losing Scottish Football and now the FA Cup, I can’t see them winding down the service. A new 3 year deal comes into force this year, the next deal after this tends to be announced midway through the second season. Same pretty much goes for the Champions League, and the second year of BT’s current deal begins in September, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard something before the end of the year.

There was a rumour that Sky were putting in a bid to get CL coverage back. Whilst it’s a shame BT don’t offer any matches FTA, it’s coverage is superb and a credit to the service. I’d be sorry to see BT go if they lost the rights.
steve
steviegTVreturns
BM11977 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London

Whilst they’re losing Scottish Football and now the FA Cup, I can’t see them winding down the service. A new 3 year deal comes into force this year, the next deal after this tends to be announced midway through the second season. Same pretty much goes for the Champions League, and the second year of BT’s current deal begins in September, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we heard something before the end of the year.

There was a rumour that Sky were putting in a bid to get CL coverage back. Whilst it’s a shame BT don’t offer any matches FTA, it’s coverage is superb and a credit to the service. I’d be sorry to see BT go if they lost the rights.

ITV would like Sky to get the champions league back - it would increase the pressure for the final to be added to the protected list because they wouldn't be a free Youtube stream like BT offered last year.
Jon7,957 posts since 11 Apr 2005
Central (West) Midlands Today

ITV would like Sky to get the champions league back - it would increase the pressure for the final to be added to the protected list because they wouldn't be a free Youtube stream like BT offered last year.

Unless they offered a free YouTube stream like BT offered last year.
Jon7,957 posts since 11 Apr 2005
Central (West) Midlands Today
Yes, it’s not like BT make the final free to view out of the goodness of their heart. They do so as that was a small part of the deal that got them the rights. If Sky need to do that to get the rights they will. Equally if Sky won the rights and wanted to keep the final pay it doesn’t matter how much pressure is put on them, they’ll keep them pay. Backlashes from moving major once free to air to sporting events to pay has never bothered them before.

I really can’t see the final being put on the protected list. Things tend to get taken off it but not put on.
pakokelso634 posts since 14 Apr 2009
Border (Scotland) Reporting Scotland
C4 quietly building a nice rugby portfolio - their coverage of the European Champions Cup final was superb and they've got all of Wales and Irelands warm up games this summer, including Wales v England (which prior to previous World Cups ended up on Sky thanks to a clause in the RFUs exclusive contract ).

Incorrect. RFU have no say over Welsh home game rights and Sky still have exclusive live English home matches. CH4 won't show the first game at Twickenham. It's on Sky. Ch4 have rights to the second game at Cardiff. Prev warm up games for home nations tended to head towards BBC due to them doing the Autumn etc. BT/Premier have shown stuff pre RWC though, IIRC 4 years ago.
PK
rdd3,377 posts since 21 Jun 2001
England really did make it a condition that rights go to Sky when they played away World Cup warm up games in previous years. They did the same when they visited Ireland in 2011 and 2015. I’m not sure how they got away with it but it was seemingly a legal fiction that they were England home games played outside of Twickenham. Go figure, but it definitely did happen.
UKnews836 posts since 26 Apr 2011
The FA have had a similar arrangement for some time. When a deal to play an England overseas friendly was agreed, part of that agreement was that the FA got the TV rights for the UK. The FA then bundled them in with other England games to sell. (Although now the ‘Nations League’ has replaced most friendlies.)
Brekkie gave kudos
toby lerone 2016437 posts since 13 Jul 2016
UTV Newsline
BBC signed a new deal recently to 2024 for 2 or 3 live matches each round and first pick, if ITV do get the rights and I hope they do it will be like BT for the bigger matches earlier on in the competition as they will get hammered showing the final. May get a throwback to 1970s and 1980s with coverage starting at 9am however Very Happy