« Topics
NorthDown3 posts since 13 Sep 2017 new member
UTV Newsline
RTE’s feed was fine and stayed live throughout to the end. Surprised they couldn’t take a dirty feed from them - at least the comments are in English from Marty Whelan. BBC’s feed was behind RTE’s by a second or two but the closing sting was quite a few seconds c15 even between RTE finishing and BBC coming off the apology caption into it. Odd
bilky asko5,410 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
RTE’s feed was fine and stayed live throughout to the end. Surprised they couldn’t take a dirty feed from them - at least the comments are in English from Marty Whelan. BBC’s feed was behind RTE’s by a second or two but the closing sting was quite a few seconds c15 even between RTE finishing and BBC coming off the apology caption into it. Odd

The Eurovision ident is always played separately as they usually cut back to Rylan and/or Scott Mills for a closing remark or two and the BBC credits.
deejay2,853 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Central (South) Oxford
How does the broadcast of the semi finals work? Because BBC Four overlay in-vision inserts over the main feed throughout the night

Most broadcasters put it through a gallery in their respective countries to add local graphics, phone numbers, sms numbers etc and mix their commentary audio with the main feed. There’ll then be an MCR operation to take the commercial breaks as required. The raw feed from the host broadcaster isnt what’s broadcast on the whole.
Two minutes regions...
Ash101 gave kudos
thegeek4,813 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London

The world feed ought to be available to the (third party) studio facility in London by a couple of satellite paths and probably also on fibre - getting it via RTE would have taken quite some time to arrange. Likewise I'd have thought there'd be multiple circuits from the gallery to playout, but perhaps there's less resilience for the semifinals.
BM11865 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
I wonder if San Marino qualifying will persuade one or more of Luxembourg, Monaco and Andorra to consider a return if they can sort out their financial problems. Luxembourg was the original kings of picking artists with no prior link to the country.
Tumble Tower gave kudos
gottago2,794 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
I wonder if San Marino qualifying will persuade one or more of Luxembourg, Monaco and Andorra to consider a return if they can sort out their financial problems. Luxembourg was the original kings of picking artists with no prior link to the country.

It didn't persuade any of them back in 2014. Monaco's TMC is now fully owned by the French TF1, I think Monaco's only EBU member now is a radio station so that's unlikely.
BM11 gave kudos