TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PF
PFML84
It's really not clear enough that it's a BBC programme either... A fourth logo on screen might help.

Funnily enough, BBC Newsline have 4 BBC logos on screen at the end of all their broadcasts.
JA
Jamesypoo
I've noticed a BBC News | World Service logo being used on some pages of the website but to be honest it's so small I can't really tell if it's Reith or not. I think it might be Gill?
MO
Moz
I've noticed a BBC News | World Service logo being used on some pages of the website but to be honest it's so small I can't really tell if it's Reith or not. I think it might be Gill?

Wow. That’s weird. It’s definitely Gill not Reith - the W gives it away. But it’s in what appears to be the new style of the BBC News logo then a horizontal line and the sub brand below.
MD
mdtauk

The current logo ommits the "NEWS" and is in Gill Sans

But the end of Social Network media includes the NEWS

Here is the Reith logo used on a thumbnail...
SH
Sh1ruba
Radio Wales has been Reith-ed with a new orange logo and they also launched new jingles as of today.
AG
AxG
The 'd' and 'i' are new variations that I've seen from the standard Reith with the foots matching the 'a'.
MD
mdtauk
Those particular stylistic alternatives are not present in the fonts up to version 2.301 - so maybe there is a newer version floating around internally yet to propagate.

Or they just took the shapes and merged them to form the logo specifically.
MO
Moz
AxG posted:
The 'd' and 'i' are new variations that I've seen from the standard Reith with the foots matching the 'a'.

Like it. Very friendly. But the more alternatives they have, the more watered down it gets surely?
RO
roo
There are variations including the single-story “a” glyphs intended to improve readability for children, so you’ll see them on the CBBC site etc.
MD
mdtauk
The single story a included does not have the flick on the right, neither does the d and the i
LO
lobster
I can't help but think late 90s PowerPoint - to my eye, and I'm not an expert in such matters I'll concede, looks unbalanced.

I think they'll have to change the BBC lettering in the blocks in the end to a variation of Reith - Gill and Reith just seem to clash.
JF
JetixFann450
I think they'll have to change the BBC lettering in the blocks in the end to a variation of Reith - Gill and Reith just seem to clash.

Works well on the first two letters. The C? Not so much. It's like if you made the BBC Shop logo but you lazily done it.

Newer posts