The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

CR
Critique Anglia (East) Look East
Business Live looks dreadful - the serif doesn’t work in lowercase in the context they’ve used it. Beyond 100 days looks fine though.
623058: it just seems like your an mp3 whore
JW
JamesWorldNews STV Central World News
Genuine question: are the words “Business” and “Live” using the same font? They look like different fonts to me (an uneducated and peasantry eye) and, frankly, a little bit of a mish-mash........

......until it grows on me.
@JamesWorldNews | #StayHomeSaveLives
DE
deejay Oxford
It is the same font, but one is Sans and the other is Serif. There are also light and bold, condensed and italic versions. But it is all Reith.

And the whole point is that it’s evolution of the essentials of Gill, so it isn’t supposed to be massively noticeable to the audience. However, when the lower thirds get rolled out I think you’ll see that it all ties in. I shared a link some time ago about how the font was developed. I’ll share it again.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/gel/articles/introducing-bbc-reith
Two minutes regions...
itsrobert and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
WO
Worzel Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Judging by what we've seen in the Midlands Today thread, I quickly knocked this up. I wonder if we're expecting something along the lines of this for the news channel?

DF
DrewF Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Worth noting that Midlands Today are back using the standard graphics, so I wonder why it even made it to air...

EDIT: Apologies, I posted this in the wrong thread.
Last edited by DrewF on 13 May 2019 8:56pm
Previously known as woah
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
DrewF posted:
Worth noting that Midlands Today are back using the standard graphics, so I wonder why it even made it to air...

Becuase they were testing them?
AJ
AJ London London
Jon posted:
DrewF posted:

Becuase they were testing them?

I wouldn't have thought you'd test graphics in a live broadcast environment. There's other off-air ways of doing that.
MO
Moz Wales Today
Judging by what we've seen in the Midlands Today thread, I quickly knocked this up. I wonder if we're expecting something along the lines of this for the news channel?

Apparently the capitals was a mistake, it’s supposed to be title/sentence case.

While the BBC MIDLANDS TODAY dog is higher than the current BBC NEWS dog - and aligns just under the new Victoria Derbyshire graphics (explaining the current gap) - I doubt they’ll just put the ticker below like that.
#skillsforlife
MO
Moz Wales Today
ALV posted:
Beyond 100 Days has a Reith refresh too.

Note - no BBC News logo.
#skillsforlife
WO
Worzel Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Moz posted:
Apparently the capitals was a mistake, it’s supposed to be title/sentence case.

While the BBC MIDLANDS TODAY dog is higher than the current BBC NEWS dog - and aligns just under the new Victoria Derbyshire graphics (explaining the current gap) - I doubt they’ll just put the ticker below like that.

Once again it's all guess work, maybe they're going to use the space for programme slugs?

Revised mock based on your comment just to see what it would look like!

LS
Lou Scannon West Country (East) Points West
We're nearly 750 days beyond the first 100 days of Donald Twunt's presidency.

As the programme had now lasted 7-8 times as long (and counting) as was seemingly first intended, to simply bung "Beyond" in front of the original time-limited sounding title seems dafter with each additional passing day/week.

Imagine if "Scotland 2014" had been called e.g. "Scotland Beyond 2014" from 01/01/2015 onwards!

I wish they'd totally rename it, to not refer to the original "100 Days" concept in any way. Or, better still, ditch having a US President-centric news programme in primetime on a UK news channel entirely...
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 13 May 2019 10:50pm
BB
BBI45 Central (East) East Midlands Today
From what has been seen so far, I'm really not liking it. Considering how everything was implemented on The Nine, I could have seen the rest of BBC News taking a similar route and it working quite well. Alas, it looks like they're taking a different route, and if what ends up on air looks anything like what has been created by Worzel, I can't see myself warming to it.
.... . ..- - .

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic