The Newsroom

Twenty Years of the Thunderclaps

BBC News - Lambie Nairn and David Lowe era - 20 Years On (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Here’s a thought - I wonder why the distinctive BBC News sounds have never made it to any of their radio news programmes?

They have done - I certainly recall Radio 1 Newsbeat having a David Lowe theme in about 2003/2004 and, of course, the World Service.

:-(
A former member
I have no memory of Radio 1 using this.
PA
parrferris
Are news broadcasts on Radio 4 still completely music-free? I guess this lack of themes is part of their distinctive sound.

Indeed - PM had one, but it was dropped in 1997. (I think Eddie Mair may have snuck it out once or twice)

He not only snuck out the theme tune, completely unheralded, but also Valerie Singleton as co-presenter on the flimsy pretext that it was 29th February. I thought I'd dropped through a twenty-year time rift!
CH
chris
Here’s a thought - I wonder why the distinctive BBC News sounds have never made it to any of their radio news programmes?

I’ve often toyed with giving the Radio 2 News jingle a bit of a David Lowe makeover. I’m sure it could be done quite nicely.
RE
Revolution
Remembered hating the change at first and grew to like it.

I thought nothing was wrong with the previous 9 O'Clock News theme or the one composed by George Fenton.
SP
Spencer
Are news broadcasts on Radio 4 still completely music-free? I guess this lack of themes is part of their distinctive sound.

Indeed - PM had one, but it was dropped in 1997. (I think Eddie Mair may have snuck it out once or twice)

He not only snuck out the theme tune, completely unheralded, but also Valerie Singleton as co-presenter on the flimsy pretext that it was 29th February. I thought I'd dropped through a twenty-year time rift!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43X4_30kYD4

I think I'm right in saying that the PM theme tune was dropped as a mark of respect following the death of Princess Diana, but it was never reinstated, as the powers-that-be decided the programme sounded better without it.

Whilst I like it personally from a nostalgic point of view, I have to admit it was a bit naff.
BP
Bob Paisley

I thought nothing was wrong with the previous 9 O'Clock News theme or the one composed by George Fenton.

Personally, I've always preferred the more orchestral theme that predated the current version (I didn't know the composer). I've never really liked the David Lowe music, but I suppose I've gotten used to it.
MO
Moz

Personally, I've always preferred the more orchestral theme that predated the current version (I didn't know the composer). I've never really liked the David Lowe music, but I suppose I've gotten used to it.

There wasn’t a single theme then. Each programme had its own music. They all got revamped in an orchestral style during the cut-glass era.
RD
rdd Founding member
I hated losing the then well established themes (the Six O’Clock News theme dated from 1984, the One from 1986, and the Nine from 1988) too. But it really has grown on me since. Probably one of the oddest things BBC News has some of late was when they dusted off the old Breakfast News theme for use on the Breakfast opt outs for the Scottish independence referendum a few years back. I really liked that theme, but so out of place in the post 1999 era.
BB
BBI45
rdd posted:
I hated losing the then well established themes (the Six O’Clock News theme dated from 1984, the One from 1986, and the Nine from 1988) too. But it really has grown on me since. Probably one of the oddest things BBC News has some of late was when they dusted off the old Breakfast News theme for use on the Breakfast opt outs for the Scottish independence referendum a few years back. I really liked that theme, but so out of place in the post 1999 era.

Do you happen to know if there is any video of these opt outs?
TO
theTOTHlad2002
Moz posted:

There wasn’t a single theme then. Each programme had its own music. They all got revamped in an orchestral style during the cut-glass era.

I believe News 24 97 was composed by George Fenton.
MW
Mike W

I believe News 24 97 was composed by George Fenton.

Network News 1993 (-1999) was arranged and composed by George Fenton, certainly, he even lists it on his website.

News 24's launch theme I suspect was somebody else, I've heard David Dundas' name in the frame for it, amongst others.
EDIT:Duff info
Last edited by Mike W on 14 May 2019 4:19pm

Newer posts