« Topics
bkman19901,157 posts since 29 Jan 2012
UTV Newsline
RTÉ may have the European Results declared from all of the Irish constituencies on Sunday as well after the local election results will take place in Ireland on Saturday. Someone may correct me on that point. They have a lot of political debate & analysis on their plate to cover this year as they have to cover referendum results on updating some of their Divorce laws from the Irish constitution. They also have to cover results of two plebicites asking for directly elected mayors for both Waterford & Limerick in Munster.

It could RTÉ's first attempt here to have the election results broadcast from either their new Studio 3, their Prime Time studio or both.
WW Update4,644 posts since 6 Feb 2007
Do we know what time the results are announced and hence when the live election programme will air? Is it overnight like our usual elections?

I don’t think the count is until Sunday, with results on Sunday evening ( as most of the EU hold their elections on Sundays ?)

Which begs the question, why don't all countries vote on the same day since they're selecting representatives of the same legislative body?
cityprod1,937 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight
Do we know what time the results are announced and hence when the live election programme will air? Is it overnight like our usual elections?

I don’t think the count is until Sunday, with results on Sunday evening ( as most of the EU hold their elections on Sundays ?)

Which begs the question, why don't all countries vote on the same day since they're selecting representatives of the same legislative body?

Every country has their traditional voting days. It just happens to be the case that most European countries conduct their elections on a Sunday. Remember, Sunday evenings are when the results of the French & German presidential elections are usually called, because they traditionally vote on Sundays. The UK & Ireland are amongst a select number of outliers who vote on days other than Sunday. The UK has traditionally always been Thursdays, whilst Ireland has been Fridays.
chinamug420 posts since 29 Jul 2013
UTV Newsline
The UK has traditionally always been Thursdays, whilst Ireland has been Fridays.

It's a recent change for Ireland to Fridays. Elections were also usually Thursdays in Ireland but there were complaints that students weren't able to get home to vote on that day. Because of the PR voting system RTE 1 would have nothing but election coverage all day and night Friday and into Saturday up to (and beyond) 6pm.
WW Update4,644 posts since 6 Feb 2007

Every country has their traditional voting days. It just happens to be the case that most European countries conduct their elections on a Sunday. Remember, Sunday evenings are when the results of the French & German presidential elections are usually called, because they traditionally vote on Sundays. The UK & Ireland are amongst a select number of outliers who vote on days other than Sunday. The UK has traditionally always been Thursdays, whilst Ireland has been Fridays.

True, but when it comes to European elections, every country is essentially a constituency (although five of them have multiple constituencies), and I can't think of too many elections in which various constituencies vote on different days. After all, if EU members can't even agree to hold pan-EU elections on the same day, what hope is there for "an ever closer union."

But I suspect this is a topic for another place and another time.
cityprod1,937 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight

True, but when it comes to European elections, every country is essentially a constituency (although five of them have multiple constituencies), and I can't think of too many elections in which various constituencies vote on different days. After all, if EU members can't even agree to hold pan-EU elections on the same day, what hope is there for "an ever closer union."

But I suspect this is a topic for another place and another time.

This is the thing. A supposedly single European Parliament election, is actually 28 separate country by country elections to that parliament. Just like in America, it's actually 50 seperate elections to the US Houses of Congress every 2 years, not just one national election.