The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Woodpecker
Bit random, I know, but earlier I was thinking about when they brought back News at Ten in 2008, but only ran it for four nights a week; Friday's late news went out at 11, but was initially branded as The Late News in the News at Ten style, as you can see below:

That arrangement didn't seem to last long at all - I think they did just three or four Friday bulletins like that, before reverting to the standard style. It all seemed a bit strange, to be honest - I got the impression they did it to ensure that Mark Austin was still presenting some form of News at Ten (that wasn't actually on at ten!). Perhaps the shortest-lived news branding ever?
JK
JKDerry
Bit random, I know, but earlier I was thinking about when they brought back News at Ten in 2008, but only ran it for four nights a week; Friday's late news went out at 11, but was initially branded as The Late News in the News at Ten style, as you can see below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaUMXDaZdFU

That arrangement didn't seem to last long at all - I think they did just three or four Friday bulletins like that, before reverting to the standard style. It all seemed a bit strange, to be honest - I got the impression they did it to ensure that Mark Austin was still presenting some form of News at Ten (that wasn't actually on at ten!). Perhaps the shortest-lived news branding ever?

The Late News ran from January 2008 to March 2009 on Friday nights. The reason it reverted to the standard ITV News look, with the atrium view of ITN was the opening titles was bad, the flyover of London arrives at Big Ben, and before you see the clockface they switch to a studio shot. The reason - some idiot forgot to put a 11pm hands on Big Ben, instead of 10.00pm, and they had to cur away from the clockface. It just made it look crap, in my opinion.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The reason - some idiot forgot to put a 11pm hands on Big Ben, instead of 10.00pm, and they had to cur away from the clockface.

Is this another one of your made up facts?
CH
chris
If went to a single presenter too when it moved to the standard look
WO
Woodpecker
chris posted:
If went to a single presenter too when it moved to the standard look

That's right, I do remember that; though I am going to split hairs a little here, because I do remember that the first week they went back to a standard style Friday late bulletin, James Mates and Julie Etchingham presented, then possibly a week or two after that it reverted to a single presenter.

I actually went back and had a look through the NaT thread from that time: it was suggested that one of the reasons they switched back might have been to do with them not having to use the jib camera for a regular style bulletin - how true this was, I've no idea, especially considering a year later they put NaT on five nights a week anyway, jib camera and all.

(God, I feel so geeky having typed that!)
watchingtv, chevron and GMc gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
The reason - some idiot forgot to put a 11pm hands on Big Ben, instead of 10.00pm, and they had to cur away from the clockface.

Is this another one of your made up facts?

No, the original opening title sequence for both News at Ten and The Late News was to have the clock face on screen. News at Ten of course had the hands at 10.00pm, but the Late News didn't have their hands at 11.00pm. Which is why we get the abrupt cut away when the approach Big Ben, and a straight cut into the studio.

The Late News even had an XI brand logo on screen symbolising 11pm. However, for some reason they didn't create a proper version of the titles.

This was the reason why they decided to revert back to the standard ITV News set, and leave News at Ten with the night time sky view and titles on its own, at least until the February 2009 relaunch of the presentation, which saw all ITV News programmes gain the News at Ten studio design.

Information provided to me from someone at ITN a few years a go, when I visited there as part of my Media Studies training.
tweedledum and Woodpecker gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Just to confirm that what JKDerry says is correct, I remember being told that at the time. It's not uncommon for some element to get missed in a project like that. Two others I can recall - they only realised after launch day that they didn't have an appropriate closing theme for the generic bulletins in 2009. And one from the BBC - when they relaunched the National bulletins with new music in 2007, they didn't realise until very late that David Lowe hadn't composed a closing bed. In the end, they just chopped the start off the headline vamp.

On a separate note, I take it no-one noticed that yesterday's morning and lunchtime ITV News summaries came from Millbank? To be fair, they had done such a good job with recreating the set that it was impossible to tell the difference. Grays Inn Road had a power shut-down overnight for routine maintenance, hence the temporary move to Millbank.
JK
JKDerry
Just to confirm that what JKDerry says is correct, I remember being told that at the time. It's not uncommon for some element to get missed in a project like that. Two others I can recall - they only realised after launch day that they didn't have an appropriate closing theme for the generic bulletins in 2009. And one from the BBC - when they relaunched the National bulletins with new music in 2007, they didn't realise until very late that David Lowe hadn't composed a closing bed. In the end, they just chopped the start off the headline vamp.

On a separate note, I take it no-one noticed that yesterday's morning and lunchtime ITV News summaries came from Millbank? To be fair, they had done such a good job with recreating the set that it was impossible to tell the difference. Grays Inn Road had a power shut-down overnight for routine maintenance, hence the temporary move to Millbank.

For the summaries I doubt anyone would notice much a change. Did they return to the normal Studio for the evening bulletins?
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Yes, they were back at Grays Inn Road in time for Channel 4 News at 4pm.
FA
fanoftv
I’m assuming that they still used a green screen set up.
MB
Media Box

Actually, LTN came from GIR in the end, it was just the morning summary that was switched to Millbank.

Millbank was only ever intended as a back-up option if power was not restored in time.

12 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall

New lead lunchtime presenter.

Newer posts