« Topics
Mouseboy332,656 posts since 10 Feb 2014
Many stations across the US sent producers to Toronto to copy the Citytv-style newscast that was wildly successful and certainly different and groundbreaking. It that it was raw and fresh and urban.
KCOP 13 Los Angeles emulated their style as well.

And of course Channel 5 News copies Citytv even going to point of the decorated sports area.

Interestingly enough Citytv has completely change their news presentation to something I havent seen copied on any other station. Typically every newscast is almost presenter-less. With basically each reporter throwing from one live report to the next with a presenter in the newsroom occasionally linking things together. There is no music or voiceover used at all. Its a very different newscast. That highlights the work of the report and drives home the taglines "THE CITY IS OUR NEWSROOM" and "EVERYWHERE"..

Here is the new CityTv CityNews format. (Well part of it)

CityTv Bogota continues to use the format that licensed from ChumInternational for the last 20yrs successfully. They still use the orginal theme but updated it with more of a latin beat. Just recently they finally modified the logo.
I'm here to give you something to talk about!
https://youtu.be/JSy2SVdtd0U
Woodpecker and WW Update gave kudos
Bail3,703 posts since 30 Mar 2001 Moderator
Meridian (South) South Today
Didn't BBC World do something weird with split screens when they were at TV Centre? Seem to recall them interviewing a guest in that way who was sitting on the other side of the N8 desk?

Yup! BBC World set up a small secondary set a few feet away from the main desk in N8, known as the “Pod”, with a high circular table and Val Doonican style stools. Said pod was used for LIVE bulletins from 8am to 1pm daily (before the advent of GMT and Impact) and for a shorter number of hours per day after their launch.

Occasionally, said pod was used to do an apparent DTL interview with a guest or a correspondent when, in actual fact, the main anchor was standing just a few feet away at the main set (in front of the news wall in the case of The Hub with Nik Gowing).

World Have Your Say would also use the stools area as a spot for one of their LIVE guests, appearing to speak down the line to Ros Atkins who was actually inches from them.

I own that desk now Smile
Bail.
Lou Scannon, JamesWorldNews and 2 others
  • Josh
  • chris
gave kudos
JamesWorldNews8,006 posts since 22 Aug 2004
STV Central BBC World News
Didn't BBC World do something weird with split screens when they were at TV Centre? Seem to recall them interviewing a guest in that way who was sitting on the other side of the N8 desk?

Yup! BBC World set up a small secondary set a few feet away from the main desk in N8, known as the “Pod”, with a high circular table and Val Doonican style stools. Said pod was used for LIVE bulletins from 8am to 1pm daily (before the advent of GMT and Impact) and for a shorter number of hours per day after their launch.

Occasionally, said pod was used to do an apparent DTL interview with a guest or a correspondent when, in actual fact, the main anchor was standing just a few feet away at the main set (in front of the news wall in the case of The Hub with Nik Gowing).

World Have Your Say would also use the stools area as a spot for one of their LIVE guests, appearing to speak down the line to Ros Atkins who was actually inches from them.

I own that desk now Smile

Give us a look. 👀
@JamesWorldNews | Formerly BBC WORLD
Woodpecker430 posts since 19 Jan 2018
Central (West) Midlands Today
I always loved the way the original More4 news mixed out of the titles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hN2wEt8Cvc

yes! one of my favourites of all time. especially given the constraints of a 2005 era projector and a ten minute set turnaround.

Agreed - that is truly excellent, and would look even better with today's screen technology.

And of course Channel 5 News copies Citytv even going to point of the decorated sports area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGJDFkpmk4

I love absolutely everything about that video. Such a contrast from the stuffy style of presentation used by all other news bulletins back then, or even now, for that matter. And that theme tune! I do think, in some ways, we've gone backwards in the last decade or so.
Last edited by Woodpecker on 11 May 2019 6:29pm
BBI45851 posts since 2 Aug 2015 Recently warned
Central (East) East Midlands Today
One thing that I find unusual, but also effective on occasion, is having a presenter look down a different camera to the outputting camera. I see it quite often on France 24 after the end of a report, and it looks like CBS has done it on occasion as well heading into breaks and at the end of the Overnight News.

.... . ..- - .
WW Update gave kudos
WW Update4,784 posts since 6 Feb 2007
One thing that I find unusual, but also effective on occasion, is having a presenter look down a different camera to the outputting camera. I see it quite often on France 24 after the end of a report, and it looks like CBS has done it on occasion as well heading into breaks and at the end of the Overnight News.

This practice is common in France as well as well as several other French-speaking and/or French-influenced countries.

Here's a typical example from France 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M0yJEt2JGw&t=83

And here's an example from Morocco, a former French colony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stTQXNl9uwQ&t=861
BBI45 gave kudos