TV Home Forum

Substitute programmes

(May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Watch it all kick off on Twitter in 5, 4, 3...

The Daily Mail and Express will have a field day

Panel show CANCELLED after 30 YEARS due to shocking reason - here's why

Close

BBC BLUNDER: Corporation MELTDOWN after ‘Have I Got News For You’ pulled over Brexit row
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1125665/have-i-got-news-for-you-bbc-latest-news-heidi-allen-cancelled-hignfy-brexit-eu-election
VM
VMPhil
Meltdown! Brilliant.
HC
Hatton Cross
Ste posted:
Interesting that Jacob Rees-Mogg was allowed to appear on HIGNFY just 6 days before the 2014 EU elections, someone who like Heidi Allen was not a candidate. Farage also appeared just over a month before the 2014 elections too.

Yes, but read the reason that the BBC gave Hat-trick again. Taking their reasoning Ree-smog was not a party leader. Allen is the de-facto leader of the Change Party.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Watch it all kick off on Twitter in 5, 4, 3...

The Daily Mail and Express will have a field day

Close

BBC BLUNDER: Corporation MELTDOWN after ‘Have I Got News For You’ pulled over Brexit row
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1125665/have-i-got-news-for-you-bbc-latest-news-heidi-allen-cancelled-hignfy-brexit-eu-election

Even by Express standards that's an awful article.
IS
Inspector Sands
Although I saw the suggestion on Twitter that Rhys Mogg shouldn't have been on then, but he slipped under the radar
BR
Brekkie
Seems to be a different attitude towards the European elections than the local ones. Whether that is usually the case or if they're being more compliant in the arena of Brexit I'm not so sure.
IS
Inspector Sands
Seems to be a different attitude towards the European elections than the local ones. Whether that is usually the case or if they're being more compliant in the arena of Brexit I'm not so sure.

I suspect the restrictions end up having a different effect because they are a proportional vote, party is more important than candidate.

The other big difference this time is that they weren't meant to be happening and the UK was only confirmed as definitely taking part last week so its probably caught some places off guard (even though the rules have applied in some areas for the recent local elections)

The rules are here by the way:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/section-six-elections-referendums

Interesting that if a programme has booked a guest before the election period, they are allowed to appear. Possibly explains last week's guest on HIGNFY
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 11 May 2019 8:31am
ST
Ste Founding member
Ste posted:
Interesting that Jacob Rees-Mogg was allowed to appear on HIGNFY just 6 days before the 2014 EU elections, someone who like Heidi Allen was not a candidate. Farage also appeared just over a month before the 2014 elections too.

Yes, but read the reason that the BBC gave Hat-trick again. Taking their reasoning Ree-smog was not a party leader. Allen is the de-facto leader of the Change Party.

Some might say Rees-Mogg is the de-facto Tory leader Very Happy
IS
Inspector Sands
Ste posted:

Some might say Rees-Mogg is the de-facto Tory leader Very Happy

Yep though in 2014 he was just an obscure back bencher.

Happy days
GO
gottago

Close

Even by Express standards that's an awful article.

You clicked it, they got their ad money, they don't care.
NG
noggin Founding member

I suspect the restrictions end up having a different effect because they are a proportional vote, party is more important than candidate.

The other big difference this time is that they weren't meant to be happening and the UK was only confirmed as definitely taking part last week so its probably caught some places off guard (even though the rules have applied in some areas for the recent local elections)

The rules are here by the way:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/section-six-elections-referendums

Interesting that if a programme has booked a guest before the election period, they are allowed to appear. Possibly explains last week's guest on HIGNFY

I think there is also the issue of 'balance across the piece'. If HIGNFY had a number of party leaders or similar senior politicians scheduled to appear during the EU Election Period, they would have achieved balance over that period. If Heidi Allen was the only party leader (or senior politician) booked for the shows during that time, it would be trickier.

However the argument about the EU elections potentially not happening is a pretty poor one. There was always a reasonably strong likelihood that EU elections were going to happen once it was clear the UK Parliament wouldn't support a 'No Deal' Brexit.

I do wonder if this is an Indie production company thinking they could sail close to the wind, and the BBC Editorial Policy department exerting some control.
:-(
A former member
What a shame that this means we are unlikely to see Theresa May as a panellist anytime soon.

Newer posts