The Newsroom

Question Time with Fiona Bruce

January 2019 Onwards (January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
denton
If there is any way to add more complexity to the Brexit debate, it’s to add Northern Irish politics on the top with the DUP arguing with Sinn Fein.

Im surprised they’ve chosen this week for the Northern Irish edition.

Considering that the United Kingdom's only land border with the rest of the EU is in Northern Ireland, and that the question of how that border will function going forward is just about the most complex part of Brexit, I'm more surprised that Question Time has only bothered to visit Northern Ireland twice since the referendum.
Cando and Lou Scannon gave kudos

47 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
Hmmm. Just watched back a few clips of yesterday’s QT.

For quite some time, it appeared to be anchorless.
chevron, Clouseau and GMc gave kudos
TR
TROGGLES
The problem question time has is that it manages to upset everyone by airing many views - you then get everyone hating these views and calling for it to be axed. Dr. Goebbles would have had such an audience, and I find it hard to believe that people are stupid enough not to remember this & to blame the programme, presenter, and broadcaster. Silencing the media? here is a concise definition of fascism...
'The system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
JW
JamesWorldNews
The problem question time has is that it manages to upset everyone by airing many views - you then get everyone hating these views and calling for it to be axed. Dr. Goebbles would have had such an audience, and I find it hard to believe that people are stupid enough not to remember this & to blame the programme, presenter, and broadcaster. Silencing the media? here is a concise definition of fascism...
'The system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Mrs. Slocombe would applaud your post!

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote.

I was only passing opinion/observation that the anchor appeared quite absent during much of yesterday’s program

In other words, didn’t intervene when she should have. And spoke needlessly when she shouldn’t have.

Only an opinion.
TR
TROGGLES
Absolutely - I think that the hysteria on Twitter etc is dreadful, the vilification of the programme and host is dreadful. Dimblebum had his career history at The BBC to fall back on. Fiona Bruce is perceived as a lightweight and easy target. I don't think anyone could please he Feral attitudes of some in the county at the moment.
BF
BFGArmy
Absolutely - I think that the hysteria on Twitter etc is dreadful, the vilification of the programme and host is dreadful. Dimblebum had his career history at The BBC to fall back on. Fiona Bruce is perceived as a lightweight and easy target. I don't think anyone could please he Feral attitudes of some in the county at the moment.

Indeed Twitter is absolutely awful to read whenever it comes to politics - delusion, hysteria and ignorance are rife and opinions change in an instant. A few days you'd probably have had certain Twitter users calling Andrew Neil a partisan hack whereas after the Shapiro interview the same people would be lauding him and calling him an interview titan
:-(
A former member
It was the best QT in a long time, mind.
CI
cityprod

Indeed Twitter is absolutely awful to read whenever it comes to politics - delusion, hysteria and ignorance are rife and opinions change in an instant. A few days you'd probably have had certain Twitter users calling Andrew Neil a partisan hack whereas after the Shapiro interview the same people would be lauding him and calling him an interview titan

More fool them, that's what I say. Ben Shapiro is an idiot. I mean, who doesn't prep for a media interview by trying to find out what you can about the person interviewing you? Oh, apparently he doesn't. What a moron!

As for Question Time itself, I find it more notable that Nigel Farage has appeared 33 times, yet has never once been elected to Westminster, yet most other British MEPs, may not even have one appearance on Question Time. Heck, some MPs haven't had one appearance yet. The guy is a spotlight hogger, and has a show on LBC for crying out loud, he doesn't need to appear on Question Time ever again, he's more than used up his ration book.
DV
dvboy
Probably naively thought "I've never heard of him so it won't matter."
AS
AlexS

More fool them, that's what I say. Ben Shapiro is an idiot. I mean, who doesn't prep for a media interview by trying to find out what you can about the person interviewing you? Oh, apparently he doesn't. What a moron!

As for Question Time itself, I find it more notable that Nigel Farage has appeared 33 times, yet has never once been elected to Westminster, yet most other British MEPs, may not even have one appearance on Question Time. Heck, some MPs haven't had one appearance yet. The guy is a spotlight hogger, and has a show on LBC for crying out loud, he doesn't need to appear on Question Time ever again, he's more than used up his ration book.

The vast majority of lower profile MPs have never and will never appear on question time. For quite a long time UKIP were receiving significant electoral support but as it was spread pretty evenly no westminster representation meaning that they had a lack of alternative high profile individuals to appear other than Farage meaning that the BBC had little choice but to keep inviting him back to fulfil the need to have guests proportionately in line with the electoral support of their party. Further more as the BBC is a London centric organisation they had a shortage of pro Brexit guests as London is not in line with the rest of the country on that issue which has led to even more appearances by Farage. Who do you suppose the BBC should invite with simiar views to Farage if you don't want him personally on (on the basis that recent polling suggests around a quarter will vote for his party in the upcoming EU elections)?
BK
bkman1990
I have been watching Question Time with Sign Zone over the course of the season. Some of the episodes have a lot of opinions about Brexit being bandied about which creates a fair bit of tension from the audience. But other than that; the show itself is a good watch.
IS
Inspector Sands
Ben Shapiro is an idiot. I mean, who doesn't prep for a media interview by trying to find out what you can about the person interviewing you?

Although if he had done a bit of research on Neill he might well have seen what his political leaning is and assumed that he was going to have an easy ride.

Unfortunately for him the political spectrum has shifted so far to the right in the US that someone who's like Neill who's a fairly staunch conservative here is probably classed as a 'librul' there. Also there's the difference here that our Conservative politicians tend to be far more socially liberal.

Of course it could be that his team who arranged it did just that!

Newer posts