TV Home Forum

Channel 4

General Discussion (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
AxG posted:

4seven - 28

Your idea of moving 4seven from 47 is mind boggling.

Get it? Because it's 4...7! Ha haaah.

No. That's just stupid.

That’s literally why it’s on channel 47.
JF
JetixFann450
AxG posted:
Your idea of moving 4seven from 47 is mind boggling.

Get it? Because it's 4...7! Ha haaah.

No. That's just stupid.

That’s literally why it’s on channel 47.

Oh, I didn't realize that was actually the channel number.
BR
Brekkie
I would have put E4 on 13, More 4 on 14 and kept Film 4 on 15. Then 4 Music could have stayed on 18 and the +1's can be wherever they end up. Keeps the main channels as high up as possible.

Channel 4 aren't gonna buy QVC's slot and QVC would probably never give it up anyway so the idea of them having 16 and buying 17 from UKTV are insane.

Yes, it's the moving of More4 and Film4 which makes no sense. C4+1 to 18 and 4Music to 28 would have kept things simpler.

I guess this indicates where More4 ranks in their portfolio as well.
WO
Woodpecker
I honestly don’t see what the big deal is with these Freeview numbers. I know on my TV, you can move channels around as you wish, and I’d imagine that that’s the case with most Freeview boxes/TV sets? I’m sure you can even delete channels as well.
MA
Markymark
I honestly don’t see what the big deal is with these Freeview numbers. I know on my TV, you can move channels around as you wish, and I’d imagine that that’s the case with most Freeview boxes/TV sets? I’m sure you can even delete channels as well.

It’s seems to be a feature that is vanishing from models now. I’ve got 10 year old Sonys where you can edit and re allocate, but I bought a Sammy last year and you can’t. Only, you can because you can save the tuning data to USB stick, use third party software to edit, and then blast it back into the telly. ( At your own risk etc) .

I do find it annoying you can’t. If you bought a radio and presets 1-5 were locked to BBC R1-5 you wouldn’t be happy, in fact no one would!
WO
Woodpecker

It’s seems to be a feature that is vanishing from models now. I’ve got 10 year old Sonys where you can edit and re allocate, but I bought a Sammy last year and you can’t. Only, you can because you can save the tuning data to USB stick, use third party software to edit, and then blast it back into the telly. ( At your own risk etc) .

I do find it annoying you can’t. If you bought a radio and presets 1-5 were locked to BBC R1-5 you wouldn’t be happy, in fact no one would!

That’s a shame. As I said, my (smart) TV lets you rearrange channels, and it’s a fairly recent model (2015 or 2016, I think), albeit not one of the big brands.
NG
noggin Founding member

I think that the days of changing channel number are 'numbered' literally.

The commercial pay-TV operators have fixed channel numbers and no editing functionality for the end user, and I suspect Freesat and Freeview similarly now expect EPG channel numbers to remain fixed (I haven't checked the D-Book stuff to check whether it's a requirement though)

I guess the big difference between Radio and TV is that there is far more regional variety in radio, and mobile reception where cars travel between areas, is more widespread, so the Radio vs TV analogy isn't quite the same. (Plus Radio EPG is very niche on DAB/FM)
MA
Markymark

The commercial pay-TV operators have fixed channel numbers and no editing functionality for the end user, and I suspect Freesat and Freeview similarly now expect EPG channel numbers to remain fixed (I haven't checked the D-Book stuff to check whether it's a requirement though)

It's a bit of a grey zone I think. I don't swap much, just stick the HD versions of the 'main' five on Chs 1-5, and the other HD versions to their 'SD' postions, plus BBC News HD to 8.

To be honest we watch the other channels so infrequently, it's better to leave them on their 'published' positions, because I have to look up where they are anyway. Except 4-Seven, with as said gloriously sits at 47 ! In fact, until last year's frequency reshuffle at Hannington, the mux it was on was also on UHF Ch 47 Cool
TE
Technologist
ON the Uk DTT platform there is no connection between the provider of the EPG (DUK) and the box /TV ( or its Spec .. the D book) ... so that so long as Digital Uk comply with giving the (legacy) PSB channels prominence per sect 310 Comms Act 2003
.. the box /Tv can do it likes .....
Other platforms have a link between the EPG and how it is displayed so they need to comply with Ofcom rules under sect 310
But there may be "favourites" which can give you easier access to your most loved channels .
BU
buster
4Music on 18 goes right back to the launch of Freeview, when it's predecessor The Hits sat on channel 18. I have pressed those numbers in a lot of the years to get a quick music fix...less so lately given how little they actually show these days...
PF
PFML84
My TV allows me to re-order and re-name the channels and it saves my choices even after a re-tune if I want toadd a new channel. Sadly some of the other TV's in the house don't do this so the channel number solely depends on what TV you're using!
BR
Brekkie
Has the 4Music red button service survived the changes - still had the old logo last I looked.

Newer posts