The Newsroom

How strange (odd choices in news programmes)

(May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EL
elmarko
Cor. That’s well timed directing.
BR
Brekkie
Some great finds in this thread - good to see that someone somewhere gives most things a try. Indeed in another televisual universe we could all be here mocking the idea of ITN trying to time their headlines to the bongs of Big Ben.
DE
deejay
Cor. That’s well timed directing.

That’s what directors do! Seamless transitions in and out of events is a core part of the job regardless of how you actually achieve it.
WW
WW Update
Some broadcasters have also experimented with unusual opening sequences, sometimes using handheld cameras.

In this 1983 intro from DR in Denmark, for instance, the newscast opened with the camera's journey from the control room to the news set:

Antenne 2 (now France 2) was similarly creative in the 1970s, with a slightly different opening sequence each day. In this case, the cameras followed the anchor as he made his way to the set from above:

Lou Scannon and Woodpecker gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Some broadcasters have also experimented with unusual opening sequences, sometimes using handheld cameras.

In this 1983 intro from DR in Denmark, for instance, the newscast opened with the camera's journey from the control room to the news set:

I don't know any Danish but going by the last report in the bulletin it looks like they were reporting on the programme/channel moving to a new building. Which would explain why this particular bulletin they opened like that, I suspect it wasn't a regular thing
EL
elmarko
Oh Antenne 2 are the best of the best at that. I loved that entire schtick
WO
Woodpecker
Perhaps not so much strange rather than just different, but I absolutely adored the way that Flemish channel VTM used to open their news in the mid-2000s. No headlines as such; instead, a short clip of the top story would be shown on a big screen above the studio, then the camera would pan down towards the ground whilst the (excellent, IMO) theme music played:

At the end of the bulletin, the camera would pan back up towards the big screen (which you can see from 2:08 below):

SuperDave, elmarko and WW Update gave kudos
WW
WW Update
Speaking of odd -- or way ahead of its time -- this 1970s newscast from Indiana is truly something else:

VM
VMPhil
This thread reminded me of this video which manages to combine cheesy inappropriate theme tune/titles with a car crash of a headline sequence:

Josh, chris and Brekkie gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
Dear god, where to start, The music, the cheesy presenter footage in the titles...
Brekkie, bilky asko and BBI45 gave kudos
DB
dbl
VOM. VOM. VOM. It's like a parody sketch from SNL
WW
WW Update
Fortunately for everyone involved, that theme didn't last long:

Newer posts