« Topics
BM11866 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
One thing we don't know is how they would treat Charles becoming King which happens simultaneously, although the Coronation would likely be a year off. You'd imagine they'll be profiles of him alongside those of the Queens. And as for football - we're surely all looking forward to watching the England team and fans remember to say "King" rather than "Queen" when singing their anthem. Suspect it'll be "God Save the Quing" for a while Very Happy

The Coronation doesn't have to be a year, it can be pretty much anytime - Elizabeth's was 15 months between taking the throne and the coronation. George IV seems to hold the "record" between throne and coronation, just under 18 months.

There are all the other things that would have to change as well, not just the anthem. You'll be carrying Prince Charles's face around in your wallet at some point, put his head on future letters, new insignia will be needed for the police and military, passports, post boxes... None of this will happen overnight (since I believe some older post boxes still have Victoria's crest on them) but it will happen, and because we all got used to seeing the Queen's head on a coin looking to the right, tradition dictates the new King will be looking to the left. That on its own is enough to cause enough of a panic in this country where we fret if we run out of teabags in the office Wink

It likely be - if the Queen dies before September the following summer. If she died in say December it would be 18 months or so.
BM11866 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
I guess I'm finding it difficult to grasp. There are some people saying it will tear up the schedules completely, some saying that there will be a large change in the schedules with major dramas/soaps placed here and there (which seems most plausible now thinking about it), and some saying that there will be a fair amount of news coverage with no major changes to the schedules. We probably won't know what's fully going to happen until the unfortunate day does arrive.

Of course with soaps it will depend what the content is I assume as to whether they air. If it's a particularly grim episode full of death and despair that's scheduled to air in the day or two after the Queen dies there's a chance they might delay airing one of the soaps by a few days. There's the example of the Raoul Moat saga delaying some Corrie episodes which focused on a factory siege.

It was the Cumbria shootings which delayed the factory siege.
FanOfTV99345 posts since 6 Nov 2017
Granada North West Today
So I remember having a word with my boss about if London Bridge Is Down is said. He told me that we would have to have some sombre and suitable music and someone would have to come in and do a news summary on the Queen's Death. We also dont have that blue light thing that tells us if there is a royal breaking news story.
The Tuesday 6-9 Show With Michael

Every Tuesday

(Hopefully) on Burnley College Radio.
Spencer For Hire5,808 posts since 13 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Moving away from schedules briefly, I take it that the 'Forest' ident will be used on BBC One.

Knowing our luck it'll be "Bog Snorkellers" or "Birdwatchers" (didn't they use the latter to go to a BBC News Special a while back)?

I would have thought it would be a simple sober ident:
http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/continuity/diana.html

The 'Safe' idents which were recently available to download on Sky boxes seem a likely bet...

Robust amateurism
TIGHazard394 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
It's a shame we don't have the balloon idents now as you could use almost any of them in events of this nature.

Not if she fell out of a hot air balloon.

Which to be fair is unlikely.

Now I'm just wondering what they would have done if between 97 and 02 a lead news story on the 1/6/9-10 had been a Hot Air Balloon explosion in mid air or something.

The ribbons?
Alex Plain-Later gave kudos
Brekkie31,171 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
There are all the other things that would have to change as well, not just the anthem. You'll be carrying Prince Charles's face around in your wallet at some point, put his head on future letters, new insignia will be needed for the police and military, passports, post boxes... None of this will happen overnight (since I believe some older post boxes still have Victoria's crest on them) but it will happen, and because we all got used to seeing the Queen's head on a coin looking to the right, tradition dictates the new King will be looking to the left. That on its own is enough to cause enough of a panic in this country where we fret if we run out of teabags in the office Wink

Way off topic but heck, that sounds like a lot of hard work.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Brekkie31,171 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
It's a shame we don't have the balloon idents now as you could use almost any of them in events of this nature.

Now I'm just wondering what they would have done if between 97 and 02 a lead news story on the 1/6/9-10 had been a Hot Air Balloon explosion in mid air or something.

The ribbons?

They used the clock anyway.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
natwel27169 posts since 14 Mar 2019
Meridian (South East) South East Today

The ribbons?

I'd reckon they'd just use the clock.