TV Home Forum

Channel 4 pre-1993 regional opt outs

Split from Favourite TV Breakdowns (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
rdd Founding member
And I was oblivious to the changes, being a kid in the Granada region.

Never knew about TVS putting in a break bumper. Presumably they were the only ITV company to do this. I don't think Granada did, though it's a long time ago now for me to remember.

Yes, I'm not aware of any other company doing it ? They always had their own one too for ITV (as did Southern, and Meridian) Old habits and all that...

I don’t recall UTV having a break bumper until the 1990s either - however, they must have been in some use on ITV by 1989, because there was one in the 1989 generic package, LWT appears to have used it at any rate:

https://youtu.be/Ka0s0lM1lYo

By 1995 Channel 4 had this one:
https://youtu.be/Tq_l9RZ6a3c

I don’t think it was their first though, because I remember one with a different effect that preceded it, in use from 1993.
Last edited by rdd on 9 May 2019 8:46am
RO
robertclark125
In the favourite TV breakdowns thread, I'd supplied a couple of C4 advert breakdowns in the TVS region in 1983 and 1984. The first one did have a C4 break bumper. However, the cue dot was on the break bumper, suggesting it came from Charlotte Street at C4, as opposed to TVS in Southampton.

Speaking of TVS, on ITV it was a dual region, like HTV. So, in the case of TVS, would it have been a dual region on C4? I'm meaning, could there have been separate adverts played out from Southampton and Maidstone, or was it just one region, played out from Southampton?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
On the basis that YTV were playing out separate ads for Emley and Belmont on C4 I'm sure they would have been of there was advertiser demand.
MA
Markymark
In the favourite TV breakdowns thread, I'd supplied a couple of C4 advert breakdowns in the TVS region in 1983 and 1984. The first one did have a C4 break bumper. However, the cue dot was on the break bumper, suggesting it came from Charlotte Street at C4, as opposed to TVS in Southampton.

No, that would have been it. The glimpse of the C4 logo TVS used to make the break bumper, had been recorded
from from C4 Pres, and did include the cue dot that was present at the time of recording ! I can't find your post and link Robert, any chance of a link again ?
MA
Markymark
On the basis that YTV were playing out separate ads for Emley and Belmont on C4 I'm sure they would have been of there was advertiser demand.

I can't remember whether the regional ads on C4 in TVS land were regional, or sub regional. Bluecortina might be able to help here.

Same question applies to Central. HTV didn't of course, or rather did, because HTV Wales did S4C's ads
TT
ttt
rdd posted:
And I was oblivious to the changes, being a kid in the Granada region.

Never knew about TVS putting in a break bumper. Presumably they were the only ITV company to do this. I don't think Granada did, though it's a long time ago now for me to remember.

Yes, I'm not aware of any other company doing it ? They always had their own one too for ITV (as did Southern, and Meridian) Old habits and all that...

I don’t recall UTV having a break bumper until the 1990s either - however, they must have been in some use on ITV by 1989, because there was one in the 1989 generic package, LWT appears to have used it at any rate:

https://youtu.be/Ka0s0lM1lYo

By 1995 Channel 4 had this one:
https://youtu.be/Tq_l9RZ6a3c

I don’t think it was their first though, because I remember one with a different effect that preceded it, in use from 1993.

I certainly don't remember any C4 break bumpers on TT, YTV, Granada, Central or Anglia (the channels I could regularly receive at the time).

On ITV, YTV used the 1989 generic break bumper for a while but abandoned it in 1990. Oddly, this coincided with TT introducing a very old-fashioned slit-scan bumper (which seemed to be a clip from an old PSA animation -- why they didn't use the ITV one they'll have been provided with is a mystery), which was replaced with a much nicer one a few months later and various animations were in use until YTV took over pres in 93.

YTV restarted bumpers in late 1996. I don't remember Granada or Central ever bothering until quite late on in 1997 or so; Anglia used theirs consistently from 1989 (presumably when the Panasonic cart machines went in?).
NW
nwtv2003
It was September 1996 when Granada introduced break bumpers. This coincided with additional idents being added on screen.
RO
robertclark125

No, that would have been it. The glimpse of the C4 logo TVS used to make the break bumper, had been recorded
from from C4 Pres, and did include the cue dot that was present at the time of recording ! I can't find your post and link Robert, any chance of a link again ?

Happy to oblige

MA
Markymark

Happy to oblige

That’s the one 😎
EL
elmarko
Sorry, hang on:

That's a break bumper made by recording pres output complete with cue dot? And just used without anyone caring?
SC
Si-Co
Sorry, hang on:

That's a break bumper made by recording pres output complete with cue dot? And just used without anyone caring?

Yup, that seems to be the case. TVS varied the bumper as time went on, but it always seemed to be something they’d recorded done the line from C4 (not intended to be used for that purpose).

The ads that TVS inserted into Channel 4 also went out on Channel 4 in the Channel Islands after 1986. Some ads carried the caption “Not available in the Channel Islands”. Not sure if prior to that TSW provided ads for Channel 4 CI.
MA
Markymark
Si-Co posted:
Sorry, hang on:

Yup, that seems to be the case. TVS varied the bumper as time went on, but it always seemed to be something they’d recorded done the line from C4 (not intended to be used for that purpose).

Yes ! In later years they made a bumper out of this ident sequence, played in reverse and speeded up to last a second. It didn't have a cue dot. Yay !

https://youtu.be/lDDR3nFToPo?t=46

Newer posts