TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland - the launch

Split from BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
dvboy posted:
In the latest Digiguide update, BBC 2 Scotland has been added back to the channel list.

I got that too, not sure why.

It could be because they're planning to close BBC Scotland and relaunch BBC 2 Scotland, but I think it's more likely to be a technical error, given the current state of the BBC listings, which as reported elsewhere on here have been a bit of a mess for a while now.
OR
orange
Quite a conclusion to jump to at first there...
KE
kernow
_Tom_ posted:
Quite a conclusion to jump to at first there...

Given the poor ratings which have been reported in this thread, nothing would surprise me.
SL
Shaun Linden
Creating and launching the BBC Scotland Channel has been a complete waste of money. They should have sought to use BBC Alba by making it 24 hour programming. Could have quite easily had Gaelic programmes during the day mixed with new Scotland produced programmes. News updates branded as 'Reporting Scotland', a name Scots know, would also be good. Local TV doesn't work in the UK because it becomes a vanity project for the people involved and totally miss what their aim is. I understand Scotland is a country part of the UK, but national and international news is already well covered on the main channels.
JA
Jamesypoo
Does "the BBC Scotland channel" as they like to refer to it actually cost that much more than BBC Two Scotland and how do the ratings stack up against the opt-out programmes on BBC Two Scotland?

The real measures of this are whether or not more people are tuning in for Scottish content than they were when it was on BBC Two Scotland and how BBC Two Scotland viewing figures have been affected (if at all).

If BBC Two (and One) Scotland figures at least the same (if not higher, due to people being able to watch programmes which may previously have been opted-out of) in addition to the new channel figures, then the BBC may well view it as a success as there are more eyeballs on BBC content and increased choice for the license fee payer.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It will cost more because it has a dedicated news service.
SW
Steve Williams
It will cost more because it has a dedicated news service.

...but BBC 2 Scotland had that, with Newsnight Scotland and Scotland 2014/5/6 etc, and now it doesn't.
WA
watchingtv
What's BBC Scotland doing in the Sports section of the SKY EPG?

DV
dvboy
Overspill, and only outside Scotland IIRC
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
450-489 is the entertainment overspill section, since they can't add beyond 199 with the 200's now being the +1 channels.
RE
Rex
Are there any ratings figures for the Scotland channel? Been more than two months since launch and I've been under the loop on what's happened.
MA
Markymark
Are there any ratings figures for the Scotland channel? Been more than two months since launch and I've been under the loop on what's happened.

Funny you should ask

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/fears-of-talent-exodus-over-bbc-scotland-slump-dzdcjwnk5

Newer posts