« Topics
cityprod1,935 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight

The Variety report is more credible, and doesn't say anything about Gayle King pushing Norah O'Donnell out. Only the disgraced Page Six has that angle, and they've been known to make up stuff with even more mendacity than the main New York Post does. Treating Page Six and The New York Post as any kind of credible source, is tantamount to believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, not to mention Brexit...
Josiah. and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
BFGArmy317 posts since 15 Jan 2018
London London
They have officially announced what is going on at CBS News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqrJfFJIrS8

Can't say I'm hugely knowledgable about the US evening newscasts but can't say it sounds like Jeff Glor has been treated well at all by CBS. He's been very publicly pushed out the Evening News slot and they've not even bothered to try and find him a new slot. He seems to have taken the blame for CBS being in 3rd place ratngs wise as if the ratings for news are entirely down to who the anchor is.
NYTV and Charles gave kudos
Rkolsen2,664 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World
How smug of Norah to say this is what everyone wanted or something to that effect. I'm sure Glor really, really wanted her to replace him..... Rolling Eyes

If you read the industry blogs it was well known that Norah wasn’t happy that Jeff Glor got the job in the first place. Then it was revealed that she hired her own PR people. The same blogs quoting insiders are also upset that she got the job that she’s a monster/demanding/tough to work with (though people likely wouldn’t be saying things if she’s a man), they are also upset about the move to DC. I suppose they could remotely produce the show with a few people chosen by her to be her producers in DC and do the rest via conference call. Norah was already taking the shuttle
to and from DC each weekend with her kids where her husband is a restauranteur (if your in DC look up Chef Geoff’s - the foods great). I don’t blame her for wanting to be with her family full time.

As for Jeff Glor I hope he retains the attorney Ann Curry when she was removed from Today.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
news junkie712 posts since 29 Mar 2009
STV Central Reporting Scotland
In the video posted above they also seem to make out that Norah O’Donnell is the first woman to anchor the CBS Evening News solely. Didn’t Katie Couric do that or were they referencing the managing editor/lead political anchor aspect of her role?

I do feel quite sorry for Glor, seemed to be quite a public appeal for him to remain at the network and certainly comes across as this was all done behind his back.
Brekkie gave kudos
Mike W4,862 posts since 30 Apr 2006
London London
In the video posted above they also seem to make out that Norah O’Donnell is the first woman to anchor the CBS Evening News solely. Didn’t Katie Couric do that or were they referencing the managing editor/lead political anchor aspect of her role?

I do feel quite sorry for Glor, seemed to be quite a public appeal for him to remain at the network and certainly comes across as this was all done behind his back.

It's very strange, CBS has a habit of reinventing the wheel, and constantly changing and shifting their focus. The programme is 3rd because it's never recovered from the Killian documents scandal nor has it ever settled - and when it does (under Couric and Co, maybe not as successfully, and certainly with Scott Pelley) they change and change everything.
Maybe they need to forget Walter Cronkite and his day and focus on the present day, this obsession with the past seems to be their biggest issue (when do they NOT mention Cronkite in an anchor shuffle, or in a history item?).

You compare it to the UK, maybe they need to stop pumping so much of their brand into the personalities that front it and make the programmes stand in their own right.
Oh it's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it with you...
Rkolsen gave kudos
Charles568 posts since 11 Nov 2009
BBC World
It's very strange, CBS has a habit of reinventing the wheel, and constantly changing and shifting their focus. The programme is 3rd because it's never recovered from the Killian documents scandal nor has it ever settled - and when it does (under Couric and Co, maybe not as successfully, and certainly with Scott Pelley) they change and change everything.
Maybe they need to forget Walter Cronkite and his day and focus on the present day, this obsession with the past seems to be their biggest issue (when do they NOT mention Cronkite in an anchor shuffle, or in a history item?).

It goes back much farther than the Dan Rather Bush 43 fiasco in 2004/2005. CBS has been in perennial third place going back to the late 80s. Viewers never liked Rather, though in his defense, and as Rather put it himself, anyone who followed Walter Cronkite was going to get his head blown off. The huge affiliation swap in the mid 90s also left CBS with a weaker portfolio of stations, which definitely hurt them as well.

Going back to more recent times, even when CBS got it right during the Scott Pelley era, the newscast remained in a distant third. He pulled the ratings up a little bit, and it was a very quality newscast, but viewers here have deeply entrenched habits. And in typical CBS self-sabotage fashion, internal politics forced another format and anchor change.
BFGArmy317 posts since 15 Jan 2018
London London
[
As for Jeff Glor I hope he retains the attorney Ann Curry when she was removed from Today.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong places but there does seem to have been a similar reaction to what happened to Jeff Glor here to what happened to Ann Curry on Today. Most comments I've seen on websites/Twitter and the like seem gutted to see him leave CBS Evening News and to praise him as an anchor. While ratings weren't great, like NBC did with Ann Curry CBS may have misread the room a bit here.

And given how Jeff Glor's situation is still unresolved, the gleeful tone of that This Morning segment doesn't place CBS in the best light. I'm not expecting tears or black ties or anything but you wouldn't have got the sense from that that a colleague had lost their role.
VMPhil9,492 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today

You compare it to the UK, maybe they need to stop pumping so much of their brand into the personalities that front it and make the programmes stand in their own right.

It does sound a bit like 'We need to do this because Walter Cronkite did it' rather than 'We need to do this because it's relevant to today's audience'.