The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AJ
AJ
AJ posted:
I also think a lot of issues with Sky News, the sets and rebranding were all done minimally or on the cheap because they knew they were going to be going up on the auction block soon. Perspective buyers owners don’t want to see a lot debt or expenses (which is why you see layoffs and corners cut) when buying a business. Additionally designers may not have wanted to go all out with a new design when there was a very real possibility that the new owners would bring in their own people to redo the design.

Citation needed.

It’s not worth a citation because it’s my opinion.

Your opinion was presented as fact.

"The sets and branding were done minimally or on the cheap."

You have zero idea how much money, effort and resource goes in to it - and neither do I.

I very much doubt that they hired a minimum wage intern to design everything though, regardless of whether you think the quality is to that kind of standard.

Univision is an entirely different example to Sky, and you said yourself it was "rumoured."
RK
Rkolsen
AJ posted:
AJ posted:

Citation needed.

It’s not worth a citation because it’s my opinion.

Your opinion was presented as fact.

"The sets and branding were done minimally or on the cheap."

You have zero idea how much money, effort and resource goes in to it - and neither do I.

I very much doubt that they hired a minimum wage intern to design everything though, regardless of whether you think the quality is to that kind of standard.

Univision is an entirely different example to Sky, and you said yourself it was "rumoured."

Your right I said it but the sentence was prefaced with “I think” - just look at the sets it’s clear they are minimal and compared to other sets are likely cheaper. I inferred they were not rocking the boat set wise or going through the expense of rebranding or with a new graphics package. My whole point was why go through the expense of building elaborate sets and new graphics package when the staff at Sky knew they were being shopped around and have to go through the process again in such a short time frame. As for Univision it wasn’t so much as a rumor but at the time it was all but confirmed that they were putting themselves up for sale.
JK
JK08
Live from Live
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Wet days and umbrellas are often quite interesting on outside broadcasts because they seem to have a habit of proudly displaying a previous logo on them as well. I spotted one on Sky News yesterday.

A quite extreme example happened on the BBC in 2013, documented here, getting their moneys worth out of this brolly:
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post898124#post-898124

For balance, here's a Sky News umbrella used in 2018 featuring a previous logo:
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1132720#post-1132720
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There was a reporter with a Five Live jacket from several rebrands ago on the BBC the other day.
RE
Reece24
The News Hour with Mark Austin is from Millbank tonight, with the backdrop lit red/orange, which doesn't look good with the dark blue of the newsroom behind. Is there any known reason for it to come from Millbank tonight? Mark could be covering Sky News Tonight as well, but they've previously done that from the glassbox.
TT
TTRWE
The News Hour with Mark Austin is from Millbank tonight, with the backdrop lit red/orange, which doesn't look good with the dark blue of the newsroom behind. Is there any known reason for it to come from Millbank tonight? Mark could be covering Sky News Tonight as well, but they've previously done that from the glassbox.

It looks horrific, they managed to make the one studio that looked really good, look really bad.
AL
alexjac0788
Mark could be covering Sky News Tonight as well, but they've previously done that from the glassbox.

Sophy Ridge is presenting SNT, so I'm not sure why Mark was in Millbank.
ME
mediamonkey91
Even weirder considering that The Newshour with Mark is the only show from the glass box that actually has blue lighting behind the big screen instead of red/orange???
SK
skyviewer
Even weirder considering that The Newshour with Mark is the only show from the glass box that actually has blue lighting behind the big screen instead of red/orange???

No, if you had a look at the small screens hanging at the wall in the corridor, you would see that The Newshour is branded in orange, compared to the rest of the programmes that are branded in blue ,
(See the screens in the background during Skynews Today) Also the lighting in the glass box near the desk is orange.
ME
mediamonkey91

No, if you had a look at the small screens hanging at the wall in the corridor, you would see that The Newshour is branded in orange, compared to the rest of the programmes that are branded in blue ,
(See the screens in the background during Skynews Today) Also the lighting in the glass box near the desk is orange.

No, the uplighting behind the screen is blue for the newshour but red/orange on all the other shows
SK
skyviewer

No, the uplighting behind the screen is blue for the newshour but red/orange on all the other shows

I know , this has though nothing to do with what I wrote about! You can see that the screens are orange during the Newshour and blue during the other programs. So it does make sense what they did in Westminster. And by the way, the lights you talk about are not BEHIND but BEFORE the big screen , it is a mirror BESIDE/BEHIND the screen that make them look as they were behind it.

Newer posts