TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
I like the rhythm and movement ones at the time... think I was one of the few.

The 'Tapdogs' one was my favourite, the way the tune is accompanied by the tapping is just perfect

The Bollywood and Skateboarders too were highlights of the package, when the music and choreography worked together well they were great, the production values on some were higher than others
VM
VMPhil
Whilst they were well produced in comparison to Oneness, I still don't think they were suitable for use into most programming. Larry points out good examples like using 'Festival' or 'Music Video' into music programmes - but these were very much the exception to the rule. Still can't believe they ran with a still of 'Ballet' on the day the Queen Mother died. At least Oneness has, or did have, the sombre 'Forest' ident, and most of the rest of the idents have mostly silent or ambient soundtracks.
IS
Inspector Sands
Whilst they were well produced in comparison to Oneness, I still don't think they were suitable for use into most programming. Larry points out good examples like using 'Festival' or 'Music Video' into music programmes - but these were very much the exception to the rule.

I'm not so sure, there's a good range of styles and tempos in there. There can't be many moods that can't be catered for
Quote:
Still can't believe they ran with a still of 'Ballet' on the day the Queen Mother died.

It's not ideal, but two days earlier it would have been a still of the balloon. I think if it had happened a year of so later when the idents were more established it wouldn't have looked so odd
JO
Josh
Whilst they were well produced in comparison to Oneness, I still don't think they were suitable for use into most programming. Larry points out good examples like using 'Festival' or 'Music Video' into music programmes - but these were very much the exception to the rule. Still can't believe they ran with a still of 'Ballet' on the day the Queen Mother died. At least Oneness has, or did have, the sombre 'Forest' ident, and most of the rest of the idents have mostly silent or ambient soundtracks.

Thanks for the reminder - I've been wondering what has happened to the Forest ident?
NA
natwel27
Capoeira definitely was a great one. The aesthetically pleasing London skyline and use of slowed down footage just compliment each other so well.
LS
Lou Scannon
Josh posted:

Thanks for the reminder - I've been wondering what has happened to the Forest ident?

Presumably there's no desire/need to use Forest until something like a Royal death (or whatever) happens?

Mind you, weren't the precious few outings that it has had seemingly for no discernible reason? (Possibly experimenting with it being the "news" ident, but changing their minds?)
:-(
A former member
It has certainly been used more in Northern Ireland, but I can't say when it was last used there.
CH
chris
Whilst they were well produced in comparison to Oneness, I still don't think they were suitable for use into most programming. Larry points out good examples like using 'Festival' or 'Music Video' into music programmes - but these were very much the exception to the rule.

I'm not so sure, there's a good range of styles and tempos in there. There can't be many moods that can't be catered for
Quote:
Still can't believe they ran with a still of 'Ballet' on the day the Queen Mother died.

It's not ideal, but two days earlier it would have been a still of the balloon. I think if it had happened a year of so later when the idents were more established it wouldn't have looked so odd

More than likely would have been a clock in fairness.

I too look back fondly at R&M, primarily because idents of late really neglect the soundtrack, particularly oneness with none at all. It’s just a part of modern day idents as the visuals, and BBC One in 2002 (and indeed BBC Two the year previous) had a great motif.
IS
Inspector Sands
chris posted:

More than likely would have been a clock in fairness.

No, from what I remember the procedure was the same, just the branding changed
:-(
A former member
An interesting trailer for a season on mental health awareness programmes on BBC One and TWO: just the BBC logo throughout, then the two channel logos on the end board, with BBC One's custom font used for the text.

JO
Jonny
Nice. Certainly a big improvement on examples such as this.
FA
fanoftv
It seems to follow a similar style to recent billboard campaigns with the BBC logo above the programme name/logo and one/two with no BBC logo.
My issue with that example is I’m unsure what channel Nadiya’s programme is on, I’m assuming BBC One because of the font.

Newer posts