« Topics
Brekkie31,233 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Been meaning to ask for a while about this actually but who makes the decisions on what to fill the airtime with the Snooker or whatever over/underruns? I doubt they phone Patrick Holland up at nine o'clock on a Saturday night to ask him what to fill it with so presumably somebody or other persons makes these decisions on his behalf?

The afternoon snooker session in the schedule today overran by more than an hour and the scheduled programmes were dropped and replaced with Coast and Saving Lives At Sea, and now I see the evening session has finished early and they've parachuted an episode of Live From The Apollo in.

I’m sure all eventualities are planned for. It’s not like it’s going to be decision made on a whim.

I guess like the World Cup there is an alternative schedule in place and usually there are obviously disposable programmes scheduled afterwards.

One thing I think is a shame with the snooker is they don't use BBC4 for the evening sessions. Of all sports I'd have thought it was the best fit, and as they now hardly have any BBC2 evening coverage until the last weekend it would make scheduling sense, plus give BBC4 hours of new content at virtually no cost.

Also talking snooker notice Jason Mohammad hasn't been involved at all this year, with Seema Jaswal being the secondary presenter.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
bkman1990 gave kudos
Blake Connolly1,726 posts since 21 Apr 2001
London London
Been meaning to ask for a while about this actually but who makes the decisions on what to fill the airtime with the Snooker or whatever over/underruns? I doubt they phone Patrick Holland up at nine o'clock on a Saturday night to ask him what to fill it with so presumably somebody or other persons makes these decisions on his behalf?

The afternoon snooker session in the schedule today overran by more than an hour and the scheduled programmes were dropped and replaced with Coast and Saving Lives At Sea, and now I see the evening session has finished early and they've parachuted an episode of Live From The Apollo in.

At the BBC they schedule standbys against all live programmes (even things like The One Show and Newsnight). Something like a daytime snooker session would have typical daytime programmes against it (with those short Coasts which can really help) while an evening session might have a film against it for a very long underrun, and then some hour-long documentaries, 45min QI XLs and 30min comedy shows so you have everything you might need to fill any length gap. These are all chosen in advance so that they're already on server if they need to be used.

How the specific fillers that end up being used are chosen depends on the situation but it's usually a discussion between the playout editor and the scheduler. Often when an underrun is highly likely, the editor will come up with a plan for what to do if it comes off at 15 minute intervals, while on other occasions the editor would phone up the scheduler and ask what they want to do.

IIRC the channel controllers only really get involved if the question is something like "there's been big breaking news and Newsnight have asked to stay on for another hour" or something like that.
Steve Williams, UKnews and Brekkie gave kudos
Brekkie31,233 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
What about that bizarre occasion when the golf fell off air on BBC One and they used the News Channel as a filler instead of playing a standby? Wonder what the thinking was there?

Guess they were hoping they could go back to the golf so needed something they could opt back out of.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Hatton Cross3,193 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
In the days of F1 on ITV - They had a precise alternative schedule with a programme start timing point every 10 minutes, during the allotted race window in the actual schedule. Thinking was, which ever reason took the programme off air - or the race had to be abandoned - there would be ample time for Jim or Steve to wrap up, get to a break, and pick up the back-up schedule at the next 10 minute junction.

They never had to use it though. Almost forgotten, but ITV never once lost the world feed during a race. and that included layering in a extra back up during one Japanese Grand Prix which was held under the thread of a typoon. The BBC lost it (albeit briefly) 3 times in the first couple of years once they had it back.

ITV managed to get through once whilst Studio 3's gallery desk went into a full scale meltdown. Switft patchwork sending the FOM world feed (minus ITV presentation sound) via LNN straight to network, took a break, and moved galleries during it.
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
bilky asko, UKnews and VMPhil gave kudos