« Topics
Markymark6,632 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
We know you done much more then that but you could have used a different newsroom backdrop relit other then default bbc news colours and the lighting seemed too dark on certain shots when it can be brighter, it can be better because when bbc world news are in it, Studio b looks fantastic.

If TV forum had its way every programme would change on a yearly basis - and believe you me - that does nothing for authority and brand...

Personally I never thought there was anything wrong with news presentation in the days of Robert Dougall/Richard Baker etc, just get them read the words, day old film flown in to LHR and the occasional live report by phone with a caption!

You don’t live in a That’s TV area then ?
UKnews, Spencer For Hire and Alex Plain-Later gave kudos
Pete9,016 posts since 18 Jun 2001
STV North Reporting Scotland
If I may return to the topic slightly...

I have to say I'm not a fan of this type of setup. I've seen it before on Daily Politics and it just makes me feel a bit queasy. I think it's a mixture of not being able to see the cameras (so how are they being filmed?) but also there being no escape for the people. How do they get them on set exactly? By helicopter?

I get the idea, that it's better than looking at a plasma lost in a sea of tech, and that it's also better than breaking one's neck like on Breakfast. But I rather like being able to see the edge of the set, it makes everything a bit more real.

-1 however for the endless bUt WHy dOn'T ThEy uSe tHE neWSroOm comments. The newsroom is a newsroom, designed to look good through the window of the TV studio. It's not a TV studio with a newsroom built into it. There was a thing with Brexit interviews done from behind the glass of studio E a few weeks back and it was messy. It wasn't dynamic or exciting or anything, it just looked messy. It's been 6 years now. Stop trying to make it happen.
ELM 2011: I am sick of been persicuted by you immature TV Forumers!
marshmallow, Steve Williams and Cando gave kudos
bilky asko5,419 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I have to say I'm not a fan of this type of setup. I've seen it before on Daily Politics and it just makes me feel a bit queasy. I think it's a mixture of not being able to see the cameras (so how are they being filmed?) but also there being no escape for the people. How do they get them on set exactly? By helicopter?

The desk descends into the floor as it did in Time Trumpet.
UKnews, Alex Plain-Later and 5 others
  • Markymark
  • all new Phil
  • chris
  • Pete
  • VMPhil
gave kudos
sjhoward525 posts since 21 Sep 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
And some people here seem to forget these were local elections contested only by parts of England and NI. Coverage has always been little more than a BBC News special, not an election night extravaganza.

Lest we forget it was only 12 year's ago that we had the much-criticised horror of "Ming's Bling" on local election night. I think the more toned down approach we get now is rather preferable.

sjhoward.co.uk
VMPhil9,506 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
^ Still not as bad as Jeremy Vine putting on a cowboy outfit and speaking in a Texan accent the following year!

EDIT: Not as bad as either of them but reading the original thread I'd forgotten about 'Stalin to Mr Bean':

Last edited by VMPhil on 5 May 2019 11:50am
Hatton Cross3,188 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
Suprised no-one has mentioned the BBC Election box logo, on the white clock face.

Love touches like that. I guess, every programme could have it's logo embedded on the clockface for no apparent reason, other than it looks nice - and for gallery geeks like me to spot!
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
fanoftv gave kudos
all new Phil3,137 posts since 12 Feb 2005
Granada North West Today
Stuff like the VR examples above. I sometimes feel like they’re done as an excuse for designers to have a play about rather than for the benefit of the viewer. I mean, it’s fun to come up with silly stuff isn’t it? You presumably don’t get much opportunity on day-to-day news.

I think if you’re bothered enough to be watching the election coverage, you probably don’t need stuff explaining to you by Jeremy Vine in a Texan accent and all that associated VR nonsense.
I love lamp
Rkolsen gave kudos
Steve Williams2,672 posts since 1 Aug 2008
I'm sure they could have found something to fill a couple of hours?

It looks like Newsday was going out on BBC World News as normal, so presumably they could have have opted into a fairly normal schedule after midnight.

Would have thought most people in Scotland and Wales would have been more interested in news from the rest of the UK than the rest of the world.
JK08 and Brekkie gave kudos
Lou Scannon1,049 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West
It's one of those infuriating "inbred posh people" things. (Let's ignore what sounds certain letters of the English language are actually supposed to make, and pronounce this name in a way that is at odds with the letters that are actually sodding well there) Rolling Eyes Thumbs down

It's like when "St. John" is pronounced "Sin-Jun" (as if having a middle name that is prefixed with "St." isn't bizarre enough anyway, regardless of pronunciation!) "Sin-Jun's Ambulance", anyone?

I might start insisting that "David" is pronounced "Sebastian", or something...

Or calling the villain from Flash Gordon "Menzies* the Merciless"!!! (*pronounced how it actually looks!)
I'm still a European.