TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
Final Score must be a ridiculously complicated programme to put together.

About 20 different sources, each one could be cut up at a moments notice, the sound and then the graphics, which themselves have to reflect what the reporter is saying.

Umpteen on screen graphics rotating around that have to be updated as well as the vidiprinter.

Then there is directing the actual studio programme as well.

The same applies to Soccer Saturday on Sky as well.

Other Saturday results programmes are available. *ahem*

As others have said, a fair bit of that can be automated. I went to a talk at Red Bee over a decade ago now, where their data visualisations team explained their system. It took in data from PA (though Opta provide sports data feeds too), but also allowed for manual updates - eg where they had a reporter on the ground who could report a goal faster than it trickled through the PA system - and made sure it didn't count the same goal twice. This local database can then be used to build the videprinter, 'as it stands' league tables, and all sorts of other stats that the producer might want. They then looked at what other data feeds PA provided, and realised that it with a little tweaking they could use it for election nights too.

For a programme with a lot of outside sources, you might use a second gallery as a hub, so that the main gallery has a bit less to worry about. (In a similar way, an OB truck doing a football match only really worries about cutting between cameras - when it's time to go to replays, they'll cut to the output of a separate VT unit, and a VT co-ord and team of EVS operators will do the hard work).

It also helps if you've got an on-the-ball MCR to make sure you've got all the incoming feeds you need, and to sort things out if anything drops. And they may be looking after a couple of dozen other feeds for other programmes at the same time. I do quite like busy days like that at work - they're far from boring!
Steve in Pudsey and UKnews gave kudos
KP
KelpieP0921
Not sure on the other "booths" but Eurosport definitely at Feltham until the SFs. As has always been for a long time. The picture at bottom of prev page is an offtube booth at Eurosport HQ. Similar to Sky or BT.

I had the impression above the commentary were video folk when the referee has to quickly ask say when a White is potted and needs replaced etc.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Channel 4 has won the rights to broadcast live coverage of Wales’ home Rugby World Cup warm-up matches against England and Ireland this August.

Channel 4 is going to cover
Ireland v Italy - Saturday 10th August 2019
Wales v England - Saturday 17th August 2019
Wales v Ireland - Saturday 31st August 2019
Ireland v Wales - Saturday 7th September 2019

See more at:
https://www.channel4.com/press/news/c4-air-live-coverage-six-nations-rugby-champions-wales-against-england-and-ireland

Also speaking of Channel 4 they will show live coverage of all six races of the new all-female W Series racing championship. The coverage will be fronted by Lee McKenzie, David Coulthard, Claire Cottingham and Ted Kravitz who has been given a much reduced role with Sky Sports F1 this season.

See more at:
https://www.channel4.com/press/news/channel-4-broadcast-live-coverage-all-women-w-series-motor-racing-championship
Last edited by toby lerone 2016 on 2 May 2019 11:18pm
BR
Brekkie
Good to see the England game included. Previous World Cup games in Cardiff vs England have ended up on Sky thanks to clauses in their contract
JO
Jon
Horrible graphics for W Series. Clearly trying to emulate the current F1 graphics but with horrible colours. No Channel 4 Sport style graphics either as I guess the whole programme is for the World Feed.

Titles and music were quite good though.
JO
Jon
And into Part 2 and someone has forgot to turn the fader on the atmosphere microphones whilst the VT is playing.
BK
bkman1990
The sound quality for the W Series is really poor as well. Everything has been resolved now though.
JO
Jon
Looks like they’re suffering with a lack of cameras around the track. We missed the race leader going off the track on one of the first corners.
HC
Hatton Cross
As its a support series for the German Touring Cars series, you'd have thought, that like FOM who produce the F2/F3 support races to F1, WIGE the coverage provider of DTM would do the same for the W series.

Clearly, reading the above, it seems some cameras are unmanned.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Been meaning to ask for a while about this actually but who makes the decisions on what to fill the airtime with the Snooker or whatever over/underruns? I doubt they phone Patrick Holland up at nine o'clock on a Saturday night to ask him what to fill it with so presumably somebody or other persons makes these decisions on his behalf?

The afternoon snooker session in the schedule today overran by more than an hour and the scheduled programmes were dropped and replaced with Coast and Saving Lives At Sea, and now I see the evening session has finished early and they've parachuted an episode of Live From The Apollo in.
JO
Jon
Been meaning to ask for a while about this actually but who makes the decisions on what to fill the airtime with the Snooker or whatever over/underruns? I doubt they phone Patrick Holland up at nine o'clock on a Saturday night to ask him what to fill it with so presumably somebody or other persons makes these decisions on his behalf?

The afternoon snooker session in the schedule today overran by more than an hour and the scheduled programmes were dropped and replaced with Coast and Saving Lives At Sea, and now I see the evening session has finished early and they've parachuted an episode of Live From The Apollo in.

I’m sure all eventualities are planned for. It’s not like it’s going to be decision made on a whim.
DV
DVB Cornwall
As its a support series for the German Touring Cars series, you'd have thought, that like FOM who produce the F2/F3 support races to F1, WIGE the coverage provider of DTM would do the same for the W series.

Clearly, reading the above, it seems some cameras are unmanned.

The Feed editorial decisions are being made by Whisper Films so they must have some control over the positioning and staffing of the broadcast equipment used to produce the coverage surely?

Newer posts