TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Also, today's first episode began with Simon Mayo on Radio 1 coming out of the radio, which suprised me. When they have the radio on it's usually a made up station like Radio Weatherfield, or sometimes Piccadilly, but suprised to hear them using sound from the BBC on there.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It happens sometimes. There is an oft-repeated outtake of Kevin Whatley missing his cue in a scene because the radio is playing in the background with football commentary, and Newcastle scored
SC
Si-Co
It happens sometimes. There is an oft-repeated outtake of Kevin Whatley missing his cue in a scene because the radio is playing in the background with football commentary, and Newcastle scored

I’ve seen that a few times. I believe it was from Auf Wiedersehen Pet.
HA
harshy Founding member
Well they’ve covered the original Granada cap with the gsb cap to be again replaced by the original, why didn’t they just broadcast the master

This is in reply to James-2001
SC
Si-Co
Well they’ve covered the original Granada cap with the gsb cap to be again replaced by the original, why didn’t they just broadcast the master

I think that’s James’s point too. I assume that whatever archive ITV3 are sourcing the programme from has a mix of original episodes and Granada Plus re-edits, and it’s obviously less time consuming (and cheaper) to just broadcast what they are given, rather then go back to the distributor and ask for alternative copies. They probably re-edit the episodes to hide the Granada Plus endcaps (or cover up the offending captions live on transmission) to “fool” viewers into thinking it’s the original they are transmitting.

BTW James, how do you know these are Granada Plus edits if the endcap has been hidden? Is it obvious due to the way the endcap appears, or from missing scenes?
JA
james-2001
I might just be assuming, but yes it's from the way the endcap appears, often suddenly cut up a split-second after the producer & copyright credit has appeared (and in one case cutting up even even before the final credit appeared- a look on YouTube at the G+ airing of that episode showed the GSB endcap faded up as soon as the producer credit appeared).

Missing scenes as well, as some Corriepedia entries mention what G+ cut from the episodes, and you can note whether those scenes appeared on ITV3 or not.

Also when it comes to endcaps, yesterday's episodes were the first to use the slightly revamped Granada endcap that came into use in 1992.
JA
JAS84
Si-Co posted:

I think that’s James’s point too. I assume that whatever archive ITV3 are sourcing the programme from has a mix of original episodes and Granada Plus re-edits, and it’s obviously less time consuming (and cheaper) to just broadcast what they are given, rather then go back to the distributor and ask for alternative copies. They probably re-edit the episodes to hide the Granada Plus endcaps (or cover up the offending captions live on transmission) to “fool” viewers into thinking it’s the original they are transmitting.

BTW James, how do you know these are Granada Plus edits if the endcap has been hidden? Is it obvious due to the way the endcap appears, or from missing scenes?
Surely the original tapes are at YTV Studios? That's where the ITV Archive is now, right? Why would there even be an external distributor?
JK
JKDerry
JAS84 posted:
Si-Co posted:

Surely the original tapes are at YTV Studios? That's where the ITV Archive is now, right? Why would there even be an external distributor?

ITV archives from 1st January 1993 onward are held at Leeds. Archive material before that are held by separate companies.
IS
Inspector Sands

ITV archives from 1st January 1993 onward are held at Leeds. Archive material before that are held by separate companies.

The ITV archive at Leeds has all of ITV Plc's archive*, right back to 1955

The regional news operations will have their own news archives but not everything, the older archives of programmes like Central News/ATV News have been donated to regional news archives

*of course this means not archives of ITN, Thames, ABC, STV, TSW, TWW, TVS, Redifussion, TVam, although in some cases their news and regional programmes went to their successors

Incidently there's a good interview with the head of the archive in the second half of this podcast: http://traffic.libsyn.com/fromthearchive/10-From_the_Archive-Marson_ITV_Archive.mp3
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 4 May 2019 7:48pm - 7 times in total
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

The ITV archive at Leeds has all of ITV Plc's archive*, right back to 1955

*of course this means not archives of ITN, Thames, ABC, STV, TSW, TWW, TVS, Redifussion, TVam, although in some cases their news and regional programmes went to their successors

All programmes of those companies are fully accounted for and paperwork intact. This may of course be a complete lie. or 10% of a lie at least.

*runs away*
AN
Andrew Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Si-Co posted:

I would hope the pre 1993 Granada archives have moved from Quay Street! Rolling Eyes

10 days later

SP
Spencer
I do wish (modern) Corrie would sort out the frame rate of their occasional CGI elements. The robin Mary’s been talking to in recent episodes looked like it had been rendered in 25ps giving it a filmic look.

I’ve noticed this effect quite a few times before, meaning CGI sequences often look quite jarring and unrealistic. Surely it can’t be a major thing to produce it to match the rest of the programme.

Newer posts