TV Home Forum

Sky's Branding

(October 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Sky Box Sets is relegated to one of the add-on packs you can get through your subscription. When it was a package it replaced the old "Family Pack" at the same price.

Of course "Ultimate on Demand" doesn't exist for Sky+, that's a SkyQ only thing. The closest equivalent for Sky+ is the catch up and the box sets, only without the Netflix integration.

I personally have no interest in Netflix and even less interest in SkyQ.

42 days later

NW
nwtv2003
It appears as of this week all Sky channels that broadcast in HD are no longer defined separately by the DOG, meaning they now have the same DOG’s as the SD equivalents.
FG
FraserGJ
It appears as of this week all Sky channels that broadcast in HD are no longer defined separately by the DOG, meaning they now have the same DOG’s as the SD equivalents.

Seems to have occurred between Tuesday and Wednesday as one of my recordings from Tues night has the HD dog but Wed doesn't. ITVs channels did the same a while ago.
FA
fanoftv
For ITV wasn’t it a case of the SD version becoming a downscaled HD variant rather than two separate outputs?
JA
james-2001
For ITV wasn’t it a case of the SD version becoming a downscaled HD variant rather than two separate outputs?

Isn't that how it is with most channels now?
KE
kernow

Seems to have occurred between Tuesday and Wednesday as one of my recordings from Tues night has the HD dog but Wed doesn't. ITVs channels did the same a while ago.

I never liked the way that Sky used to brand/refer to their channels as "Sky xxx HD", even on the SD channels, in terms of trailers, idents, voiceovers, etc, as well as on their websites and social media.

I'm so glad that this seems to have been phased out. There are a few legacies of the HD era, such as the web address of the Sky Arts facebook page: www.facebook.com/SkyArtsHD (it might still be "SkyArtsHD" because facebook.com/skyarts is taken by someone else, who may have originally taken it because Sky weren't using it).
RD
rdd Founding member
The UHD feed still has the “Sky Sports UHD Premier League” on it.
HA
harshy Founding member
Does this mean they are getting rid of the HD charge assuming now they are thinking HD is normal?
JA
james-2001
Does this mean they are getting rid of the HD charge assuming now they are thinking HD is normal?

EL
elmarko
Incredible GIF deployment
RK
Rkolsen

Does Sky charge a single flat rate HD fee or HD premium per box and additionally does Sky require you to purchase your boxes like DirecTV and Dish do here in America? I realize the boxes here in the US are worthless once you cancel your subscription but despite purchasing them you have to return them to DirecTV/Dish network. I believe you even have to pay a month surcharge per box.
RD
rdd Founding member
Up until recently Sky ran a “free dish and box” offer that meant you paid a relatively modest installation fee (about €40 IIRC) and, provided you kept the Sky service for the minimum term, the dish and box were yours to keep. They could be used to pick up free to air services.

This all changed when Sky introduced Sky Q a few years back. Now there not only a heftier installation fee which seems to range between £20/€25 and £199/€179 depending on a host of factors (whether your a new or existing customer, whether or not you take Multiscreen/Sky Q experience, and whether or not you opt for a 1TB or 2TB box). Either way though you no longer own the box, it remains the property of Sky and you must return it if you cancel. You still own the dish but, in Ireland, the dish comes with a special wideband LNB which renders it useless for using non-Sky FTA set top boxes unless you swap it for a regular one at own expense. (In the UK Sky may in certain circumstances provide a “hybrid LNB” that works for both Sky Q and FTA, engineers in Ireland have been told by Sky not to supply these to customers for whatever reason).

HD costs an extra £5/€8. Ultra HD requires you to have a Sky Q 2TB and a Multiscreen/Sky Q experience subscription at another £13/€17.50. No, there’s no logical reason for the latter requirement, even if you just have one TV you have to take it if you want UHD.

Newer posts