The Newsroom

Elections 2019

(May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GR
griffinuk
dvboy posted:
Not sure why they include the election in the summary, they would be better having Huw introduce Jessica Parker's package as a reminder of what's at stake and what's happened so far, with Ben Bland summarising other news.

I agree with that, seems somewhat disjointed doesn't it. I can't see why a viewer would need reminding that there's an election on when they are watching an election results programme!!!
BK
bkman1990
The desk is a big improvement in Studio B. The size of B makes it more spacious & authoritative. I always thought Millbank would be very cramped from the outset whenever the local elections come on. Having it in B makes more sense as it does look bigger when from there.

Ben Bland is doing the news summary updates on the BBC during the elections tonight. I think he is in C for those updates.
DV
dvboy
Was there a regional opt out slot after the news summary? On the news channel Huw said we were going to look at the "scoreboard" and then we got a titles sting, and he welcomed us back.

They would be better having the regional opt out and news summary at the same time instead, and coming back together.

Edit:
Huw clarifying some earlier confusion over figures for Hartlepool, which if you were watching on a BBC1 region that opted out, you would have missed when it first came up.
Last edited by dvboy on 3 May 2019 12:56am
RK
Rkolsen
Moz posted:
I am curious where they are hiding the cameras.

Well as the green area below isn’t really there, I’d have thought that’s where they’re hiding them!

Oh for some reason I thought the masking comment was directed at the touch screen. I thought the keyed screen was one of those fancy curved LED ones hanging from the grid.

I find it interesting how they are going all out for what are local elections. Correct me if I’m wrong this has no impact on parliament or policy? Or is this considered dress rehearsal for the EU elections?

Just as a US/UK comparison national news never covers these things because people only care about local races near them (and far too many to cover nationally). Local stations will run tickers and extended programming into the night or start earlier morning. Also of course states here choose their primary p election days, primaries are usually in the spring or early summer and general elections are in the first Tuesday in November - sometimes local elections line up with the House, Senate or presidential elections sometimes they don’t.
BA
bilky asko
It is usually used a predictor of General Election results (whether accurate or not), and if Labour manage to end the night down would be a terrible sign for their prospects.
Last edited by bilky asko on 3 May 2019 2:58am
CI
cityprod
It is usually a predictor of General Election results (whether accurate or not), and if Labour manage to end the night down would be a terrible sign for their prospects.

No, it isn't a predictor of general election results, it never has been. That's like saying that the European Elections are a predictor for Westminster, cos they ain't either, and never have been.

What these local elections are are the biggest electoral test of opinion since the last general election. Almost 250 councils, about 9,000 seats, and the Tories defending aroud 60% of those seats.

There won't be too much to be read into these results with regards to Westminster, more whether a strategy was a success or failure.
BK
bkman1990
Mike Embley was back in C for the news updates tonight. It has now gone back to Huw Edwards in B.
BA
bilky asko
It is usually a predictor of General Election results (whether accurate or not), and if Labour manage to end the night down would be a terrible sign for their prospects.

No, it isn't a predictor of general election results, it never has been. That's like saying that the European Elections are a predictor for Westminster, cos they ain't either, and never have been.

What these local elections are are the biggest electoral test of opinion since the last general election. Almost 250 councils, about 9,000 seats, and the Tories defending aroud 60% of those seats.

There won't be too much to be read into these results with regards to Westminster, more whether a strategy was a success or failure.

The word "used" should have been in that post (I have added it, it didn't make sense without it). To pretend that national results aren't read from these results (especially when in previous years national projections of what could have happened were it a General Election were made) is silly.

The fact you mention it's an electoral test shows there is a comparison to be made. If it were irrelevant, why mention it?

The European Parliament elections are far less connected as the voting system differs, they have been historically viewed as unimportant, and anti-EU parties are always going to do far better in a European Parliament election, the major issue being more pertinent.
CI
cityprod

The word "used" should have been in that post (I have added it, it didn't make sense without it). To pretend that national results aren't read from these results (especially when in previous years national projections of what could have happened were it a General Election were made) is silly.

Some in the media read national results from these elections, but conclusions drawn from that tend not to be so accurate. The political parties on the other hand, don't tend to read national results directly, especially when, as this year demonstrates, there are almost 250 different sets of elections going on, with local issues, national issues, and even brexit all playing their part. About all they can tell is how well a national electoral strategy has gone down with their voters, and at this point, it looks like Labour and the Tories need to work on their strategies.

Quote:
The fact you mention it's an electoral test shows there is a comparison to be made. If it were irrelevant, why mention it?

Not true at all. Every by-election, local election etc, is in fact an electoral test of some kind. In this case, it is the biggest test of national electoral strategy. But it's no more than that. Making a comparison with Westminster is at best statistically dubious, and frankly, a fool's game.
RK
Rkolsen
So I just realized that they place a Furio on the metal header. I think it would be a good for VR additions in B. I doubt Studios C & E could handle the SkyDolly.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
So I just realized that they place a Furio on the metal header.

Mentioned on page 2.
IS
Inspector Sands

I find it interesting how they are going all out for what are local elections. Correct me if I’m wrong this has no impact on parliament or policy? Or is this considered dress rehearsal for the EU elections?

Yes that right it doesn't have any impact on national politics and although it does give some indication on electoral trends it's not indicative in a national scale. There were no elections in Scotland, Wales, London or lots of parts of England
Quote:
Just as a US/UK comparison national news never covers these things because people only care about local races near them (and far too many to cover nationally).

The difference here is that these are very minor elections, the lower tiers of politics - district, town and parish councils. It's not like a state election or a primary. What makes it a big event is that there's lots of them on the same day,which is how we do things here

Newer posts