« Topics
gottago2,799 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
Could the bit we’re all missing here be that That’s are planning to build a network before selling it off themselves? They’re certainly not in it to make quality TV, but a national channel on Freeview channel 7 with a few hours of local news obligations a week could be quite profitable if done right, and That’s might well make a few quid out of selling that. They’re potentially morphing local tv into the model it should have been all along.

I just can't see who would buy that other than a totally new broadcaster, which I don't think would happen. All the big players have made a success of themselves with channels further down the EPG and without any PSB obligations so why would they buy it? I think the days of a new broadcaster proposing anything bigger than what Made and That's managed are long gone.

What about ITV? They’ve already got the resources, the studios, the teams etc. They could merge it with ITV3, so in effect you’d have ITV’s back catalogue combined with local news (surely there’s a heavy overlap in audience there, right?), right next to ITV2 on the EPG.

Why on earth would they do that? Lumping themselves with a totally unnecessary, low rating, expensive PSB requirement to move two places up the EPG (not even across the whole country). UKTV and Discovery have both made a success of their channels much lower down the EPG, no PSB requirements. I just don’t understand who would want it other than a company that can just about run it on a profit by running a totally barebones, unwatchable service, which is the company pretty much running the show at the moment.
dbl, msim and Cando gave kudos
Brekkie31,233 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Exactly - if ITV wanted to get back in the local market they'd just add content back to the main channel, and personally the return of a weekly 30-minute non-news regional slot would be much more preferred than continuing with these local channels.

I think the fact ITV did not even blink when these local channels launched shows how unconcerned they were by them - they knew they didn't stand a chance.

OFCOM though can't just allow the legacy channels to remain in the prime EPG slots. I don't think anyone could legitimately say That's TV or Made were fulfilling their PSB requirements, and as such should be booted down the EPG accordingly.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Markymark6,645 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
Could the bit we’re all missing here be that That’s are planning to build a network before selling it off themselves? They’re certainly not in it to make quality TV, but a national channel on Freeview channel 7

It wouldn't be national, significantly less 'national' than C5 analogue was at launch. Local TV only exists in places where it was technically possible to provide it,
james-20014,734 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Even the non-made & that's channels aren't brilliant these days. While Notts TV is still one of the best of the bunch, it's now mostly made up of repeats from the first couple of years of the channel (even a fair amount of current affairs stuff), and hours of a webcam stream from the Gem 106 studios at breakfast and weekend evenings.

At least there's no hours of teleshopping, CBS drama and 80 year old public domain movies though.
Ne1L C849 posts since 11 Sep 2011
I just can't see who would buy that other than a totally new broadcaster, which I don't think would happen. All the big players have made a success of themselves with channels further down the EPG and without any PSB obligations so why would they buy it? I think the days of a new broadcaster proposing anything bigger than what Made and That's managed are long gone.

What about ITV? They’ve already got the resources, the studios, the teams etc. They could merge it with ITV3, so in effect you’d have ITV’s back catalogue combined with local news (surely there’s a heavy overlap in audience there, right?), right next to ITV2 on the EPG.

You are kidding right? ITV3 and local news. Never ever going to happen. Commercial disaster waiting to happen if they did.

With respect there is no way that ITV would put their local news on ITV3. AFAIK that would mean ITV losing their high position on the EPG.
Night Thoughts224 posts since 24 Jan 2016
London London
As a possible example of the lack of impact local TV has had, Kent's KMTV has not been allowed into the election count at Dartford (where I don't think you can actually receive KMTV...)