« Topics
Steve Williams2,874 posts since 1 Aug 2008
Generally yes, but recently Barney Harwood was already well known and in the 80s and 90s they had presenters who were know already

Janet Ellis, Anthea Turner and Mark Curry were known as children's presenters, Konnie Huq to a lesser extent. Sarah Green, Yvette Fielding and Tina Heath had acted in other children's programmes before Blue Peter

In the case of Mark Curry, they were deliberately looking for an experienced, established presenter because the previous presenter they'd chosen was Michael Sundin who had been a complete newcomer and a complete disaster. They approached Pip Schofield and he turned them down, and Mark Curry also initially turned them down but he met Sarah Greene and she convinced him to go for it. As Richard Marson's book points out, it meant Curry had quite a lot of freedom on Blue Peter, more so than other presenters, because they'd approached him and so he got to argue that they'd done that based on his established style.

Tina Heath was another presenter who was picked as a more established presenter because Simon Groom and Chris Wenner were struggling a bit, and was paid accordingly.

Yvette Fielding was an interesting one because they were looking for someone who could appeal to younger children, in contrast to Caron Keating, and they remembered her from Seaview a few years ago and thought she would be good. But she'd actually given up acting by then and was working as a dental nurse, and they went through loads of old files to track her down and she was baffled to be offered it, which illustrates the rather strange way Biddy and the team would sometimes look for new talent.

But Anthea Turner simply applied and auditioned for the job like everyone else, and I know there was much discussion within CBBC about whether she was too old, Richard Marson's book says Anna Home never thought much of her. It was very much a last throw of the dice for her career at the time, it had gone down the toilet a bit.

It tends to depend on the existing presenters as to whether they go for an established one or not, if they think they need a steady hand. Lindsey is really established at the moment so presumably they'd be happier to go for a new face now, knowing Lindsey can cope.
UKnews, Inspector Sands and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
Sh1ruba382 posts since 13 Jan 2019
Central (West) Midlands Today
Also if you look at James' site, he designed a proposal for a new look Newsnight which aligns it more with the BBC Two brand.
Check it out as it's a very good design proposal and I think it should be chosen for the new look.

Thanks for that I agree it is rather nice. How you can say it should be chosen for the new look is beyond me though when you don’t know what the other options are.

My guess is it hasn’t been chosen as it wouldn’t have been posted.

Well, I dunno.
Whatever they've chosen, I'm not fussed.
Josh1,060 posts since 21 Dec 2014
Here's how it looks on YouTube:

Features some possible name straps.
Also, is it just me but the logo at the end looks different to the one at the top left?
Fan of the media industry, from the UK.
PFMC841,637 posts since 28 Feb 2013
UTV Newsline
The logo looks worse when shown in that YouTube icon. Not a fan of it in any form. Making it all capitals or at least making it a capital N would look better. Then again, Nr would make it look like a symbol from the periodic table!
Lou Scannon gave kudos
John290 posts since 27 Oct 2004
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Generally yes, but recently Barney Harwood was already well known and in the 80s and 90s they had presenters who were know already

Janet Ellis, Anthea Turner and Mark Curry were known as children's presenters, Konnie Huq to a lesser extent. Sarah Green, Yvette Fielding and Tina Heath had acted in other children's programmes before Blue Peter

In the case of Mark Curry, they were deliberately looking for an experienced, established presenter because the previous presenter they'd chosen was Michael Sundin who had been a complete newcomer and a complete disaster. They approached Pip Schofield and he turned them down, and Mark Curry also initially turned them down but he met Sarah Greene and she convinced him to go for it. As Richard Marson's book points out, it meant Curry had quite a lot of freedom on Blue Peter, more so than other presenters, because they'd approached him and so he got to argue that they'd done that based on his established style.

Tina Heath was another presenter who was picked as a more established presenter because Simon Groom and Chris Wenner were struggling a bit, and was paid accordingly.

Yvette Fielding was an interesting one because they were looking for someone who could appeal to younger children, in contrast to Caron Keating, and they remembered her from Seaview a few years ago and thought she would be good. But she'd actually given up acting by then and was working as a dental nurse, and they went through loads of old files to track her down and she was baffled to be offered it, which illustrates the rather strange way Biddy and the team would sometimes look for new talent.

But Anthea Turner simply applied and auditioned for the job like everyone else, and I know there was much discussion within CBBC about whether she was too old, Richard Marson's book says Anna Home never thought much of her. It was very much a last throw of the dice for her career at the time, it had gone down the toilet a bit.

It tends to depend on the existing presenters as to whether they go for an established one or not, if they think they need a steady hand. Lindsey is really established at the moment so presumably they'd be happier to go for a new face now, knowing Lindsey can cope.

As a viewer I always found the unknowns such as Simon Groom or Liz Barker more interesting. I could never make out in Richard Marson’s various books if he thought Anthea was a good presenter. In some ways she was a text book BP presenter or was it fake as Anna Home suggests?

It will be interesting to see how they recruit the next presenter in terms of enthicity.
08tom669 posts since 24 Nov 2007
Posted today on the CBBC Website;
"
Posted by
Official Blue Peter
10:51
Hi guys,

This page will be updated tomorrow at 10am with photos and the name of the new presenter! Woo hoo!

Blue Peter"
Josh and Sh1ruba gave kudos
trivialmatters583 posts since 15 Jan 2007
In typical cyclical fashion, Newsround got rid of the beautifully designed NR logo from Saatchi & Saatchi because it wouldn't work as an app, and then realised their new logo didn't work as an app either, and had to make a new NR from the new logo which looks worse than the original one.