TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

From Television Centre (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
True. Except Thames had it at a different angle so that the bridge is to the right of St Paul's Cathedral.
AA
Aaron_2015
Awful interview by Morgan this morning with the mental health campaigner; Morgan managed to deviate from the subject of mental health and social media to a rant on vegans. Susanna did, in fairness, try to point how irrelevant veganism was to the debate, but the subject had already been derailed.

I watched the show for the last hour this morning, and I don't recall seeing any news at all. The news update at 8 was dropped, with no headlines at all. Timings don’t particularly bother me, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the headlines at least once in a morning news show.
UB
UBox
I agree Aaron. I don't really mind about the timings being all over the place even if the show didn't 'properly' start until 6.28 yesterday morning. You only get two proper news bulletins though, the first one at some point between 6.15 and 6.30 and then the 7.00 bulletin and after that nothing Mon-Wed. I still think they should just crack on with the news at 6am and then have 6.15-7.00 for the random chat but bringing in the odd guest and news review element too.

EDIT - They've finally sorted out the three-box too:
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think the only argument for timings is the way that people run their morning schedules around features in Breakfast programmes. Moreso on the radio, but there will be people who know that they need to be in the shower when the regional news is on otherwise they will miss the bus
JK
JKDerry
Does GMB not have to fulfil a quota of news output by the regulator, or has that been done away with? I remember TV-am and GMTV were criticised for the news output. GMTV especially, whose news content was appalling in their first year on air.

TV-am famously covered the 1984 Brighton bomb terribly, with no live reports at all from the scene, just John Stapleton on the phone and a picture of the Grand Hotel Brighton circa 1956.

Surely GMB must fulfil a certain amount of news content?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Does GMB not have to fulfil a quota of news output by the regulator, or has that been done away with? I remember TV-am and GMTV were criticised for the news output. GMTV especially, whose news content was appalling in their first year on air.

TV-am famously covered the 1984 Brighton bomb terribly, with no live reports at all from the scene, just John Stapleton on the phone and a picture of the Grand Hotel Brighton circa 1956.

Surely GMB must fulfil a certain amount of news content?

At least 60 minutes of quality news, regional news and weather must be aired each weekday
RE
Reece24
UBox posted:
I agree Aaron. I don't really mind about the timings being all over the place even if the show didn't 'properly' start until 6.28 yesterday morning. You only get two proper news bulletins though, the first one at some point between 6.15 and 6.30 and then the 7.00 bulletin and after that nothing Mon-Wed. I still think they should just crack on with the news at 6am and then have 6.15-7.00 for the random chat but bringing in the odd guest and news review element too.

I would have proper news bulletins at 6am and 7am, and a reduced bulletin at 8am.
Have a 'Paper Review' at 6:15/6:20am (after Regional News), with Kevin and Andrew.
Then merge the entertainment slot and Piers' 'Golden 10/ 15/ 20/ 25/ 30 minutes' from 6:35 until 7am.
YO
yogibarney
At least 60 minutes of quality news, regional news and weather must be aired each weekday

Define quality though, it could be argued that the definition is in the eyes of the beholder. What Ofcom may consider as passable may be inadequate to someone that’s wanting a 10 minute digest of all the top stories and headlines before they head to work.
NA
natoswald
Straight into the news at 6.01, covering the Local Elections but then only a short summary of the rest of the headlines at 6.06.
MC
mccanmat
I’m guessing if they went to the news early it must be Piers’ day off? Wink
JA
jackhendo
I’m guessing if they went to the news early it must be Piers’ day off? Wink

Or that there was a major overnight story of course lol
AA
Aaron_2015
The D Team in this morning covering the Bank Holiday — Jeremy Kyle, Ranvir and Bobby Norris. Kyle is insufferable at the best of times, Ranvir is far too over excited and Bobby Norris is utterly lacking in any talent whatsoever. The short bit I saw was a total car crash.

Found Breakfast, by comparison, far more watchable.

Newer posts