TV Home Forum

Global Radio axes all regional/local breakfast shows

(February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Possibly the worst kept secret in radio now leaked...

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/04/amanda-holden-to-join-jamie-theakston-for-heart-uk-breakfast/?fbclid=IwAR1qL6nudk6MNAh1XdLU902oN8g-DLX6tLwv-psUYx4lvk_HQFuqNfwUyy0
LL
London Lite Founding member
Considering Heart FM has been skewing younger, why are Global keeping on an old relic from the 90s and bringing in another old relic when the target audience is at least 15 years younger than both of them?
VM
VMPhil
See I have conflicted feelings about these national breakfast shows. Part of me thinks it's sad to see local radio shrinking, but part of me thinks it's beyond time there was national commercial competition to Radio 1 and Radio 2. I guess we can only wait and see whether they'll be a success for Global or simply alienate existing listeners.
NL
Ne1L C
I think its down to community radio stations to keep a local flavour (from someone connected with community radio)
:-(
A former member
Heart sounds too slick as it is, I can only imagine this being even worse.

Sounds like a big commitment for Amanda Holden and it doesn’t quite feel right.
LL
I thought Global would bring in higher profile presenters for their new national breakfast shows, but so far we've had Martin Kemp's son and couple of nobodies on Capital, while Heart are keeping a heritage presenter known for presenting kids tv when the target audience was 5 and another who has been a judge on Syco fluff formats.
JO
Jon
I’m sure whatever happens they’ll be able to spin the ratings as an improvement. And any less of listeners will offset by millions of pounds of savings.
LL
It's just Smooth to announce who will be the national presenter. Going by the 'celebrity' of Holden and Capital's line-up, Gary King, the current Smooth London presenter has a decent chance of keeping his gig at this rate!
:-(
A former member
You make it sound like one of the stars of one of the biggest shows on tv isn’t a big name?
AS
Ash101
Considering Heart FM has been skewing younger, why are Global keeping on an old relic from the 90s and bringing in another old relic when the target audience is at least 15 years younger than both of them?

This is spot on. They’ve ditched all 80’s music & most of the 90’s. Arguably music these two presenters grew up with (they’re 47/48 ).

This line-up just doesn’t sit right with me. Is Jamie known outside of London to Heart’s audience? Is Amanda known for anything other than BGT? This is a big opportunity to make a stand against BBC Radio 1 & 2 and it seems like a half-baked attempt. Jamie’s been on London’s Heart Breakfast for 10+ years, they really could’ve done with a complete freshen up.

Heck, even Stephen Mulhern & Emma Willis (who did do Heart weekends up till last summer) are probably more relatable and relevant to the target audience.
Last edited by Ash101 on 28 April 2019 11:41pm
London Lite and fanoftv gave kudos
LL

This is spot on. They’ve ditched all 80’s music & most of the 90’s. Arguably music these two presenters grew up with (they’re 47/48 ).

This line-up just doesn’t sit right with me. Is Jamie known outside of London to Heart’s audience? Is Amanda known for anything other than BGT? This is a big opportunity to make a stand against BBC Radio 1 & 2 and it seems like a half-baked attempt. Jamie’s been on London’s Heart Breakfast for 10+ years, they really could’ve done with a complete freshen up.

Heck, even Stephen Mulhern & Emma Willis (who did do Heart weekends up till last summer) are probably more relatable and relevant to the target audience.

Arguably if Global announced Jamie and Amanda were the new breakfast presenters for Smooth Radio, it'd be a more suitable duo for a station that targets the over 40s. Instead it feels more like Chris Moyles on Radio 1 when he was really sounding like a middle aged man not really enjoying what he was playing to the kids. He does sound more at home on Global's Radio X where since the relaunch from Xfm has skewed a bit older with him and Johnny Vaughan heading breakfast and drive.
JO
Jon
Surely Heart’s core audience is women in their 30 and 40s they’ll be familiar with Jamie. Also it is continuity for their largest licence so that important chunk of the audience that should remain stable.

I don’t think Amanda is someone who is particularly popular even though she’s on one of the most popular shows on TV. Although she had shown on This Morning in the past albeit it being TV she can hold her own. I think she’s someone who generate click bait headlines so that’s probably why she’s been chosen.

Newer posts