TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Interestingly I have a recording from YTV in 1989 which has interference on the picture which looks exactly the same as on that video! Was there some transmitter work at Emley around that time which caused it?

Well the caption states a BT fault, which would be consistent with the circuit between Kirkstall Road and the transmitter failing. Whether there was CCI as well may be a separate issue.
MA
Markymark

Yes, because the caption gen
Interesting, its documented here many times about the sync changes on the ITV network (particularly at 6am, 9:25am and 5:15pm on Fridays in London) causing VHS recorders to go crazy. Do the drops in and out to and from the the blue transmitter caption as seen on that video cause the same effect?

Yep, I can remember regional DTL interviews on Nationwide during the same now and again in the 70s. In fact something that sticks in my mind was a down the line interview with a bloke in Bristol, and another in Cardiff who started arguing with each other, and the director was cutting directly between the two studios with a nice splat everytime.

I thought NATLOCK was there to stop they happening? Although Cardiff was routed through Bristol so it would have been the Bristol director who was doing those cuts which may have complicated matters.

It was the 1970s, things that should have worked sometimes didn’t 😎 I suspect you’re right, Bristol were doing the cutting between themselves and Cardiff and that could have been the problem. Somewhere on You Tube is a recording of a Nationwide rehearsal where Manchester is feeding Leeds and themselves down the line, and I think there are splats there too. A virtual pint for whoever finds the video !
MA
Markymark
Interestingly I have a recording from YTV in 1989 which has interference on the picture which looks exactly the same as on that video! Was there some transmitter work at Emley around that time which caused it?

Well the caption states a BT fault, which would be consistent with the circuit between Kirkstall Road and the transmitter failing. Whether there was CCI as well may be a separate issue.

It is a bit odd, because the CCI doesn’t seem to affect the IBA caption or the LWT bars, unless the saturated chroma on both those signals mask it ?
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes I was thinking of the IPP. I hadn't realised Graham Norton had been involved twice, presumably the more paranoid Whovians think he's got it in for them
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Interesting, its documented here many times about the sync changes on the ITV network (particularly at 6am, 9:25am and 5:15pm on Fridays in London) causing VHS recorders to go crazy. Do the drops in and out to and from the the blue transmitter caption as seen on that video cause the same effect?

Yep, I can remember regional DTL interviews on Nationwide during the same now and again in the 70s. In fact something that sticks in my mind was a down the line interview with a bloke in Bristol, and another in Cardiff who started arguing with each other, and the director was cutting directly between the two studios with a nice splat everytime.

I thought NATLOCK was there to stop they happening? Although Cardiff was routed through Bristol so it would have been the Bristol director who was doing those cuts which may have complicated matters.

It was the 1970s, things that should have worked sometimes didn’t 😎 I suspect you’re right, Bristol were doing the cutting between themselves and Cardiff and that could have been the problem. Somewhere on You Tube is a recording of a Nationwide rehearsal where Manchester is feeding Leeds and themselves down the line, and I think there are splats there too. A virtual pint for whoever finds the video !

It's on channel called unhban but I'm enjoying a non virtual pint at the moment so I'll let someone else go searching!
MA
Markymark

It's on channel called unhban but I'm enjoying a non virtual pint at the moment so I'll let someone else go searching!

I keep the pint !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L5aZI3iBL5o

It’s not as glitchy as I recall though
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Only I guess that both probably use Windows 10 but I could be wrong.
Even banks still use XP. It's more common than you'd think.

There’s a clip on YouTube where someone shuts down/restarts the Windows NT computer running S4C’s “Closedown Screen” sequence - quality’s not great though as it was captured outside of transmission area in analogue days.

IT
itvblocks
Back in the UK now with a CITV technical fault I saw a few years ago on the old YouTube. (sorry for the camera quality)

An episode of Tots TV shortens out for a minute with an apology over a slide before going straight back to the programme!
CH
channel4squares1
Summer 1986 and there's problems at the broom cupboard due to problems with the film reel used at the time.
DE
deejay
I remember that happening. I used to love the fact that they put that little monitor in shot so you could see the next film or VT running (or being fixed and re-cueing in this case!!)
IS
Inspector Sands
Wasn't that one of her first afternoons? Good practise for her later life in the world of home shopping I suppose
JA
james-2001
She says it's her last show there!

Notable show the show that precedes it ends with the "BBC TV" logo- that's the only post-1972 (when they started putting copyright dates on the end) example I've seen.

Newer posts