The Newsroom

The Andrew Marr show

(April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

Chris said on Twitter that the technical glitches prevented him.

Is the news bulletin auto cue fed from London rather than Salford?

Yes for some reason the autocue comes from London and is fed up the line to Salford. Not sure why as one of the features of ENPS and now Open Media is that scripts are available to everyone
RK
Rkolsen

Chris said on Twitter that the technical glitches prevented him.

Is the news bulletin auto cue fed from London rather than Salford?

Yes for some reason the autocue comes from London and is fed up the line to Salford. Not sure why as one of the features of ENPS and now Open Media is that scripts are available to everyone

One less person needed in Salford to run the prompter or avoid a self op. Does the news update come from the Breakfast studio or a flash cam in the newsroom? I’ve seen pictures of the newsroom flash cam and it doesn’t appear there’s a computer nearby.

I’m sure it works perfectly 99.9% of the time but may be related to the other technical issues. Here in the US most shows based/produced in NYC that have elements in DC or are hosted in DC, the prompter is rolled NYC and fed to DC whether it’s at the bureaus or the White House.

The AutoScript EPIC IP prompter and software looks promising for large organizations. The prompter downloads the copy (and checks for updates), renders the script for display in perhaps a custom look for a presenter and uses low bandwidth signals to roll it. This would save the need for a vision circuit to bureaus for prompting or a person needed to run the prompter locally.
MI
m_in_m
I think they use the studio that North West Today use for their Breakfast bulletins. It is also used for some morning weather bulletins on the news channel presented by Simon King.
IS
Inspector Sands

One less person needed in Salford to run the prompter or avoid a self op.

There is someone there running the autocue for Breakfast of course*, and self op autocue is fairly common.

*though the issue there is that they wouldn't be able to do it for any rehearsals
MI
m_in_m

One less person needed in Salford to run the prompter or avoid a self op.

There is someone there running the autocue for Breakfast of course*, and self op autocue is fairly common.

*though the issue there is that they wouldn't be able to do it for any rehearsals

On a standard Sunday there is now time for rehearsals. It is now unusual for a presenter to need to leave early for the Marr programme but the London Marathon returned the programme to its former slot.

29 days later

MD
MDQ1
Is the programme now permanently presented on the other side of the studio? I think it looks better except from the rather crammed sofa for the paper review
MI
m_in_m
MDQ1 posted:
Is the programme now permanently presented on the other side of the studio? I think it looks better except from the rather crammed sofa for the paper review

I suspect it was just because of the election coverage although it is interesting that they haven't returned to using studio A again since the problem the other week just before they went to air requiring the decamp to B.
NG
noggin Founding member
MDQ1 posted:

No - the 'other' end of the studio was still in 'Election' mode for the European elections I think.
ST
Stuart
Is there really any reason for a news summary from one of the Breakfast presenters (Roger Johnson, today), when we've just had an hour long 'BBC Weekend News'?
NE
News96
Or more to the point now the football's over, why don't they just move Marr back to 9:00am and have done with it!
JF
JF World News
What they have done it move BBC News at Nine from BBC Two on Sunday Morning, the reason Marr is at 10 is so it creates a 90 mins politics slot at ten. In August, it will probably just be the Nine
AN
Andrew Founding member
Or more to the point could show actual programmes and not just simulcast the News Channel

It’ll be interesting what they do when Marr is off for the summer, show 2 hours of the BBC News Channel simulcast?

Newer posts