The Newsroom

The Andrew Marr show

(April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
WMD posted:
Also, the symbol into Marr at 9:10ish had no CA.

The news channel also didn't pause to allow a cleaner opt although they trailed BBC 1 crossing to Marr.

There did seem to be a pause for BBC One to opt out but the presenter also did a mini-pause part way through the handover, with it looking like someone at Red Bee etc was a bit trigger happy, cutting to the ident whilst the presenter was in mid-flow?

Whilst the opening looks like it was pre-recorded in A, the shots of the guests in the intro looked like they were shot on the actual hard set of Studio B as normal, unless the VR is a bit more convincing for that part of the studio? Of course this is muddled further by the fact that they ended up doing the whole thing from the hard set of B!

Very odd that they hadn't given Chris Mason any paper scripts, and indeed that they kept the news bulletin - as mentioned by someone else it'll have a broader mix of stories but they were also ten minutes down so needed to find some time! In the pre-recorded intro there was a VT excerpt of a pre-recorded interview Marr had done immediately before the news throw, so they could have cut at the end of the interview preview to Mishal and gone straight into the paper review? They ultimately didn't have time to show the Marr pre-record either!
AN
Ant
WMD posted:
Also, the symbol into Marr at 9:10ish had no CA.

The news channel also didn't pause to allow a cleaner opt although they trailed BBC 1 crossing to Marr.

There did seem to be a pause for BBC One to opt out but the presenter also did a mini-pause part way through the handover, with it looking like someone at Red Bee etc was a bit trigger happy, cutting to the ident whilst the presenter was in mid-flow?

Scotland didn't cut the presenter off mid-sentence, however there was a few seconds of the "generic" BBC animation and then a cut to the network ident.
NL
Ne1L C
Surely they would have had paper scripts? Never rely on technology.
MI
m_in_m
Surely they would have had paper scripts? Never rely on technology.

Chris said on Twitter that the technical glitches prevented him.

Is the news bulletin auto cue fed from London rather than Salford?

Also I think Afternoon Live seem to their opening minus paper scripts now. Seems to be a bit more common.
NL
Ne1L C
I agree about the commonality on lack of paper scripts but surely there should be some kind of hard copy.
MI
m_in_m
I agree about the commonality on lack of paper scripts but surely there should be some kind of hard copy.

Ideally yes. I guess it's who and when do they have an opportunity to print the script and when was it finalised.
GE
thegeek Founding member

NE
News96
And another

JW
JamesWorldNews
“Ad-libbing the news bulletin”.

Mason the Maestro.
NL
Ne1L C

Ideally yes. I guess it's who and when do they have an opportunity to print the script and when was it finalised.

Got to be a few spare subs around?
UK
UKnews
there's an article about it on the BBC News website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48082991
bit of an overkill i think!!!

I thought that too. It’s a main headline! Amazing how self important some of these media organisations can be.

Or rather - it’s a fairly high profile programme, perhaps a lot of comments had been made / complaints received so they wrote it up as a story, stating the facts and batting away some of the inevitable nonsense conspiracy theories on Twitter that it was a deliberate act in favour of [insert politician / party / view a person doesn’t like] or censoring of [insert politician / party / view person supports].
ST
Stuart

Newer posts