« Topics
BerkshireJames16 posts since 26 Jun 2018
Meridian (South) South Today
I've been wondering for a while whether the current Spotlight theme would work with the lighthouse style effects they used on the titles in the 90s. I've moved away from the blue theme they used back then and switched it for a more red style, in line with the rest of the BBC News branding.

I've got it to this stage but there's still a few more things I want to "fix":

"Fixes" still needed:
A better lighthouse model would improve it a lot!
Improved light effects for the lighthouse "beams"
Tweaking the lighthouse overlay used over the video, I'm still not 100% happy with it but it'll do for now
Last edited by BerkshireJames on 27 April 2019 8:10pm
cityprod1,925 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight
That is impressive. I will admit, I think it's difficult to make the current music and those old visuals fit, but you've done a helluva good job. I don't mind the lighthouse model used, but it's pretty clearly not Smeaton's Tower, which is the lighthouse in Plymouth that they used for that early to late 90s Spotlight look, but that's a nitpick really. I'm not sure about the overlay of the titles onto the studio shot, I think that's the weakest part of the titles, but overall, really good.
BBI45 gave kudos
BerkshireJames16 posts since 26 Jun 2018
Meridian (South) South Today
So I wasn't 100% happy with the way the titles worked at the end of the video either, so I've changed it slightly to add an effect to it and also show it with the red tinted lighthouse lens backdrop for a couple of seconds before mixing to the studio shot. Still need to work on the lighthouse!

NYTV, Quatorzine Neko and Josiah. gave kudos