The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC affiliates and TODAY

NBC launches new Washington D.C. bureau and studios (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
mannewskev
rob posted:
I've loved Meridith on TV for ages. She's so natural at TODAY

Yeah, you've loved her for so long, you can't even spell her name properly... Rolling Eyes

I love Tomarse Shiffernocker...
RK
Rkolsen
rob posted:

Yeah, you've loved her for so long, you can't even spell her name properly... Rolling Eyes

I love Tomarse Shiffernocker...

To be fair autocorrect can do some awkward things. It has spelled my relatively simple and common name numerous ways.
Meredith Vieira has been filling in for Hoda on the 4th hour this week and is a breath of fresh air. Today should bring her back and keep her in this slot permanently. There were rumors of Hoda wanting to leave the 4th hour and focus on the main show so I wouldn't be surprised if they are using this as a test to see how she works with Jenna.

I always thought Meredith has a great TV personality and her tenure on main Today show was perhaps the show's last great period.

Jenna is bland and boring and her only contribution is blabbing about her grandparents , parents etc. She will soon be off to maternity leave, hopefully, so Meredith can take over. Cool

Meredith is a natural talent that I think anyone would get along with. It’s a shame her talkshow failed but to be fair not many launched in the post-Oprah era have succeeded. She always seemed to be open and not afraid to go there (I remember learning what an orgasm was from her talking about it on The View probably at 7 years old). Station groups making their own cheap syndicated shows either regurgitating the same viral clips, launching local “lifestyle shows” (which usually have pay to play element with content) or expanding a newscasts.

I’m not sure if Meredith has a contract with NBC or the news division anymore however NBC seems to be the one place where she keeps coming back. Im guessing it because it’s her most recent job and from what I’ve heard she was loved. She did host a series last year on PBS called The Great American Read discussing the 100 most loved novels. And if I recall during Harry and Megan’s wedding PBS took a simulcast of the BBC and she appeared there as well.

I think Meredith at this point just want to freelance or if she signs a deal do stories she wants (like Maria Shriver) and fill in if she wants to. She’s 65 - retirement age and has more than enough money. Her reported annual Today salary was $10 million + whatever she made hosting Who Wants to Be a Millionaire for several years in syndication (which is why during her time at Today she couldn’t appear past 9AM aside from breaking news). Plus her husband, Richard Cohen a journalist in his own right, is 70 and has has MS for a long time.

Granite if she was a permanent fill in and cohost of the fourth hour she probably wouldn’t have to get in and up as early as she did as main host. When she was the main anchor she was up at 2:30 and out the door (NBC provides drivers for hosts - does the BBC and ITV?) around 4 a.m. I think before Kathy Lee and Hoda were arriving around 6 or 7 a.m.
TV
TVViewer256
rob posted:

A tad pedantic, you know autocorrect these days.

37 days later

RK
Rkolsen
The US networks are of course in the UK for the state visit. However one of NBC’s reporters Peter Alexander seems pretty far away from the center of London is he at Sky Central?

And some of the more general stand up locations:

EL
elmarko
Ooh, this would be a good exercise in open source intelligence. See if you can geolocate him.
EL
elmarko
FWIW I didn’t think there was that kind of residences near the Sky Central building. Google Maps may be out of date though.
AJ
AJ
No idea where that is, but it's definitely not Osterley.
HC
Hatton Cross
Correct. No angles from Sky Central would get any buildings like that in shot.

And - a quick look at Google Maps in 3D elevation, and I've spotted the flats in the background - they are in Roger Street/North Mews. So, it's from the roof of 200 Grays Inn Road, facing west.
Last edited by Hatton Cross on 3 June 2019 8:20pm
London Lite, Bob and what gave kudos
EL
elmarko
How the hell did you manage to find the buildings?!

I’m into this kinda thing off the back of organisations like Bellingcat. Fascinating work. Anyway, derail over.

Edit: And that’s where NBC’s London office is apparently
RK
Rkolsen

I’m into this kinda thing off the back of organisations like Bellingcat. Fascinating work. Anyway, derail over.

NBC News is still at ITN but I thought the Greys Inn Road facility was closer to the heart of the city (where the sky scrapers would be closer).
OV
Orry Verducci
NBC News is still at ITN but I thought the Greys Inn Road facility was closer to the heart of the city (where the sky scrapers would be closer).

Greys Inn Road is very close to all of London's iconic landmarks, but with the exception of BT Tower they're all to the south of the building. The roof is fairly full with a satellite farm and other things, so it's quite likely that they couldn't get a clear view south from the parts they're allowed to use. I suspect if the camera was slightly over to the right they would have got BT Tower in shot.
HC
Hatton Cross

I had been using Google Maps all day for my real (but exceedingly dull) day job, looking for passenger transport access points (bus stops) ranging wildly from accurate discriptions or rage inducingly vauge ones. Guess I was on a roll.

I knew straight away it wasn't Sky.
NBC London used to be based in Hammersmith, and at first I thought the tan coloured building directly behind and left, was the office block where what BBC Publications became (Immediate Media) is based - but the distance background would be more built up, as it extends out towards Shepherds Bush.

So by process of elimination, 200 GIR it was, and clicking around quickly found the block of flats off to the west and case solved!

Newer posts