TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible.

TE
Technologist London London
.... an I at the BBC had vertical coloured buttons .....
So you had a say 4 red columns for the cameras a white button (no source) 6 green for OS ( vt replay) etc ..
. a lot easier to see where you moved your left hand to out of the corner out your eye..
That rolled over to the GVG 1600 based studios I did later
( the 300 was operated by Asst producers not vision mixing people )
But no other BBC studios used it.... taking the horizontal colours out if the box
BL
bluecortina
.... an I at the BBC had vertical coloured buttons .....
So you had a say 4 red columns for the cameras a white button (no source) 6 green for OS ( vt replay) etc ..
. a lot easier to see where you moved your left hand to out of the corner out your eye..
That rolled over to the GVG 1600 based studios I did later
( the 300 was operated by Asst producers not vision mixing people )
But no other BBC studios used it.... taking the horizontal colours out if the box

Nifty idea that.

Looking at the LWT video again I noticed a real oddity. Above the video key buttons (strips) on each ME, there is the standard long white plastic strip for the VM to write on with Chinagraph etc what the assigned source is for each assignable input. But all the 300 mixers had miniature dot matrix displays above the video key buttons where those strips are to show precisely what was assigned to each input (with the exception of the first six buttons or so which were fixed camera inputs) so there were no chinagraph strips. This is very odd? I wonder if the mixer panel is a temporary loan one whilst the ‘proper’ one is being modified for these displays. They were supplied by Probel and interfaced directly with the CAR matrix feeding the assignable inputs to the mixers. Very effective.

Seeing the video also reminds me of GVG’s decision to fix input 1 to be Black. What were they thinking, why didn’t they put Black next to the Colour Background generator ‘up the other end’.

Edited to add. Not long after that video the clunk generator was replaced by something more sophisticated. On air tallies feeding the monitor stack were summed together and generated a spike to feed a small Maplin audio amp which in turn fed a small horn loudspeaker inside the production desk. The volume of the clunk was set by stuffing tissue paper down the loudspeaker. I did say sophisticated didn’t I !
Last edited by bluecortina on 25 April 2019 11:40pm - 5 times in total
SC
Si-Co Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Silly question, but why was it so useful to have an audible alert when cutting between sources? For whose benefit was the sound?
CEEFAX SUBTITLES BEGIN SHORTLY
GE
thegeek Founding member London London
Which GVG model was installed on the Death Star?
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Si-Co posted:
Silly question, but why was it so useful to have an audible alert when cutting between sources? For whose benefit was the sound?

I can see it being useful for the PA whose head is often buried in the script, and cameramen who only have talkback to know precisely when they are on and off without watching the tally light. I guess particularly useful on things like music numbers with lots of fast cuts.
Write that down in your copybook now.
BL
bluecortina
Which GVG model was installed on the Death Star?

Looks like a 1600 model of some sort to me, definitely not a 300.
LE
Lewismpsmith Meridian (South East) South East Today
Going over to America now for these two. I don't know if breakdowns from other countries count but I thought I would stick these heads through the revolving door anyways.

Their weather programs seems to be extremely unstable. Not to mention their running on Windows XP.

Weather presentation program crashes and Windows reboots live on air. (probably because some techie forcefully rebooted the computer, not realising they were still on air)

Windows crashes to a BSOD and again reboots whilst on live on air. Things appear to be fine however after the machine has restarted.

Thought it would be cool to see breakdowns from other countries make an appearance on here.

Imagine the scenes if this happened on BBC or ITV. It would be utter chaos!
We're in this together. Please stay safe by wearing a mask and washing your hands. Do your bit.
TT
ttt
I mentioned this one on the C4 thread but it probably deserves a mention here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCe7csO0H3c

Viewpoint 93 ends early and Central networks their regional promo, cockup number 1.

Catches YTV off-guard who cut to a slide of the programme until the announcer is ready. YTV then proceed to apologise and announce their next programme. Problem is that programme is YTV-only and they put out the announcement on Tyne Tees as well, complete with 'unsafe' slide for the next programme, cockup number 2.

Then after the break another apology (this time well handled), done cross-regionally due to TT announcer having already gone home for the night so no introduction of any kind to the local darts on TT.
TO
theTOTHlad2002
Going over to America now for these two. I don't know if breakdowns from other countries count but I thought I would stick these heads through the revolving door anyways.

Their weather programs seems to be extremely unstable. Not to mention their running on Windows XP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu-1w41SI4A

Weather presentation program crashes and Windows reboots live on air. (probably because some techie forcefully rebooted the computer, not realising they were still on air)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2J0T9flpo8

Windows crashes to a BSOD and again reboots whilst on live on air. Things appear to be fine however after the machine has restarted.

Thought it would be cool to see breakdowns from other countries make an appearance on here.

Imagine the scenes if this happened on BBC or ITV. It would be utter chaos!

Only I guess that both probably use Windows 10 but I could be wrong.
TT
ttt
^ I remember a similar one to this a few months later where a programme ended abruptly, and there appeared to be no announcer in Leeds either. A bloke with a broad West Yorkshire accent took to the mic and provided an apology. The transmission controller presumably? Would this have been acceptable to the powers that be?
Lewismpsmith and Closedown gave kudos
JB
JexedBack South East Today
7 min fault with the snooker on BBC Two at 11:15 this morning.
Switched to standby Coast programme because of a power cut.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
Incredible. A computer BSODs, goes through its entire startup routine to reset itself,, this all happens on air and nobody notices. Amazing. It's quite likely the abc30 one has some other software behind the scenes that in this sort of situation will force-reboot the system if it falls over. As it did.

Earlier in the thread here the same sort of thing happened on S4C with closedown slides but whoever rebooted that didn't realise they were on air with it, but at least they noticed soon after.

Newer posts