The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters & Rotas

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Surprised to see Gavin step down. Still good luck to him. Robin Day stood a Liberal candidate. Christopher Chataway became a Tory MP, Nigel Lawson was City Editor of the Sunday Telegraph in 1961 and of course Austin Mitchell left ITV to become MP for Great Grimbsy in 1977.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Gavin Esler left the BBC sometime ago and has a new career in Further Education now. Unless elected, this will be simply a hiatus for a few weeks.

(Chancellor University of Kent)
bkman1990 and Ne1L C gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Yes, he left the BBC a while ago but considering his high profile I thought it would be of interest to post here.
NL
Ne1L C
glad you did.
AS
AlexS
Gavin Esler left the BBC sometime ago and has a new career in Further Education now. Unless elected, this will be simply a hiatus for a few weeks.

(Chancellor University of Kent)

Chancellor is usually a ceremonial role and Gavin has held it since long before he left the BBC.
BF
BFGArmy
Tadhg Enright

Indeed he's popped up a few times doing business on the news channel. He was on Sky News doing business bulletins occassionally during the Joel Hills, Dharshini David era.

He seems to be in the 'Rebecca Jones' stage on the news channel - where somebody starts popping up as a presenter on the News Channel and there'll be various posts across a few weeks as posters who've only seen that person for the first time end up asking who the presenter is.
SuperSajuuk and KolonelKlink gave kudos
LX
lxflyer
If he loses he wont be back..

Surprised to see Gavin step down. Still good luck to him. Robin Day stood a Liberal candidate. Christopher Chataway became a Tory MP, Nigel Lawson was City Editor of the Sunday Telegraph in 1961 and of course Austin Mitchell left ITV to become MP for Great Grimbsy in 1977.

You do both realise that Gavin retired from the BBC almost two years ago?

Correction - over two years ago!

He left the BBC at the start of April 2017 - I think that we can safely say that ship has well and truly sailed.
Last edited by lxflyer on 23 April 2019 6:06pm
BF
BFGArmy
TV Forum favourite Geeta Guru Murthy is back on the evening shift tonight.
WO
Worzel
Anna Soubry and Ben Bradshaw were also broadcast journalists before moving in to politics.
MA
Markymark
Anna Soubry and Ben Bradshaw were also broadcast journalists before moving in to politics.

There's a large overlap of 'skill set' between journalists, politicians, and public relations personnel. Many individuals will have a spell in two of those groups during their career. I'm trying to think of someone who has been all three ?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I can think of an ex journalist who became my MP and developed a reputation for self-PR and getting his face in the local rag at any opportunity while actually doing very little if that helps? Smile
RO
rob Founding member

Martin Bell as well...

Newer posts