The Newsroom

Jackie Bird Leaves BBC Scotland News

Anchored Reporting Scotland for 30 Years (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
How The Nine reported on Jackie's departure with a montage from Reporting Scotland.
bkman1990 and JosiahStuart gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Same report on Reporting Scotland.
CR
Critique
Same report on Reporting Scotland.

Reporting Scotland actually had a VO from a journalist too, whereas for The Nine they used the same clips but eliminated all the spots where the voiceover would have been.

11 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
Shereen! Shereen! Where art thou?
GE
thegeek Founding member
Shereen! Shereen! Where art thou?

on the wireless, every Saturday.
A former member
She been on that slot or sunday for the past 15 years now.
GM
Gary McEwan
Oh to have Shereen back on the box reading the news would be absolutely tremendous.
JamesWorldNews and GMc gave kudos
A former member
But does she want to? Viv give it all up and she was very popular.
JW
JamesWorldNews
I taught them everything......
GE
thegeek Founding member
This thread reminded me that there have been occasions where Jackie ended up broadcasting nationally. One which sprang to mind was the Stockline Plastics factory explosion in Glasgow - backed up by this thread from 2004, where quite a few posters were pleased with how well she anchored News 24. (Less so with 'Simon McWotsit', who was sent up from London to assist)

Were there any other occasions? It seems a bit of a shame not to have used the talents of such a capable broadcaster over a wider area more often.
NJ
news junkie
Definitely the Lockerbie bombing. I’m sure in one of the reporting Scotland anniversary documentaries she recalled how they didn’t even realise that it was going out on network until it was.
A former member
She wasnt at the bbc when that happened. You must be thinking of Dunblane.

Newer posts