TV Home Forum

TV Crossovers.

This will either fly or sink (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
I believe The Critic was shown on Bravo.

I presume that was post-1997 Bravo? As it wouldn't have fitted on the pre-97 "timewarp TV" version.
DA
davidhorman
a) who cares if it wins, it still got made, b) Barney has never before or since shown any kind of self-awareness about his alcoholism (I know he later got sober, but the point remains) and c) in every other episode everyone hates Barney apart from his mate Homer, and now suddenly everyone loves him and Homer's the bad guy! Useless episode.

I think you missed the entire joke.
SW
Steve Williams
I think you missed the entire joke.

What is the joke, then? Homer ends up looking an idiot and none of it is his fault!
NL
Ne1L C
When I first saw that I thought it was just a callback to that earlier Simpsons episode, not knowing at the time The Critic was its own show.

Was The Critic even shown over here? If it was I imagine it was only on a channel like Sky One or Paramount Comedy that the vast majority of people wouldn't have access too, so wouldn't be familiar with it.

As I said crossovers seem to be more US-favoured. Most if not all UK viewers who watched the first 7 seasons of the Simpsons would probably have little to no knowledge of US shows unless they had access to US tapes (if multi-format players were available then).
JA
JAS84
JAS84 posted:
It probably should never have happened. Matt Groening was so disgusted he had his credit removed from the episode!

Was it that bad?

Well, it wasn't so much that it was bad, but I think the Critic crossover was something that was foisted upon the show by Fox, and he was unimpressed by being co-opted into its marketing.

However, it is one of my least favourite episodes, not for that reason but because it's a really terrible plot and story. It's all based around Barney making a film about alcoholism and Homer being pressurised to choose it as the best in the Springfield Film Festival he's judging, but a) who cares if it wins, it still got made, b) Barney has never before or since shown any kind of self-awareness about his alcoholism (I know he later got sober, but the point remains) and c) in every other episode everyone hates Barney apart from his mate Homer, and now suddenly everyone loves him and Homer's the bad guy! Useless episode.
The Critic's creators had previously been Simpsons showrunners, Bart's VA Nancy Cartwright was one of the main cast members and a few other voice actors also worked on both shows. That created a misconception among the public that Matt Groening had created The Critic (Futurama didn't exist yet to prove he always uses a specific art style), so he did his best to make sure his name was disassociated with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Critic
NT
Night Thoughts

The Bill and MIT (Murder Investigation Team) following Matthew Boyden's murder.

Also The Bill/SOKO Leipzig crossover, Proof of Life.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Wasn't there also a spin off of The Bill called Burnside?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Wasn't there also a spin off of The Bill called Burnside?

Yes, from 2000.
JO
Jonwo
Didn’t King of the Hill have a small gag crossover with The Simpsons?

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Scoobynatural was a great Supernatural/Scooby Doo crossover.
WH
Whataday Founding member
There was also Simpsorama.
NL
Ne1L C
Jonwo posted:
Didn’t King of the Hill have a small gag crossover with The Simpsons?

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Scoobynatural was a great Supernatural/Scooby Doo crossover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-Doo!_WrestleMania_Mystery
:-(
A former member
If we are going into the depths of hell.....

Newer posts