The Newsroom

BBC World News | 30th October 2017 Onwards

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
In addition to the change of heart about smartglass there are a few other things about Studio E which make me wonder if things were originally set to look a little different. The screen (or whatever it is) on the right side of the set that is seen behind studio guests and is mocked-up to look like light strips below two smaller screens has always struck me as odd - there are light strips above and below it which are rarely seen on-screen, with the top light-strip curving round and extending towards the newswall, but these are never seen on-screen which does seem somewhat pointless!

Likewise, next to the screen pretending to be smaller screens there's a space not filled by anything, but in the image above looks as if there's a similar pattern/texture etc on it to that seen in Studio B between the newswall and the big screens on the 'hard' end of the set. If this was never to be seen on screen it's an unnecessary expense, which suggests there were plans to make more use of this side of the studio that maybe never camr to fruition?
JO
Jonwo
Which studio is Business Live done from, I’m assuming it’s C.
AS
AlexS
All domestic only output is from E except the 5 which is from C and VD (and Newsnight) which are from B.
Generic world buletins (except Friday afternoons), the briefing, business live, the first 2 hours of GMT, World News Today and Newsday are from C
World business report is normally from whichever studio the bulletin at the start of the hour is from.
The final hour of GMT, Impact, Global, Focus on Africa and talking business (and friday afternoon generic bulletins) are from B
A is usually only used for Newswatch and D is usually only for BBC London.
RK
Rkolsen
Has anyone noticed that the ticker turns full red now during breaking news headlines and reverts back when they go to business. Before it seemed the red ticker matched the breaking news red lower third only on domestic simulcasts.
AL
ALV
Has anyone noticed that the ticker turns full red now during breaking news headlines and reverts back when they go to business. Before it seemed the red ticker matched the breaking news red lower third only on domestic simulcasts.

The “overly red” ticker is generated by Red Bee pres (and probably have covered the studio generated ticker). If you pay attention closely to Sport Today and Asia Business Report on BBC World News (which is handled by the Red Bee Playout), the ticker/strap color is “extra red” than the regular tickers.

Under normal circumstances, Red Bee Pres would not generate the ticker and strap during TOTH live broadcasts since the studio gallery would be responsible for handling the ticker. However, if there are programming changes (such as today’s extended newscasts due to the breaking events), Red Bee Pres may accidentally generate their own ticker, covering the studio gallery generated ticker. In this case, you may noticed the strap will not be removed even when the DOG (BBC World News logo) shows up during the titles and outros of live broadcasts...
RK
Rkolsen
ALV posted:

The “overly red” ticker is generated by Red Bee pres (and probably have covered the studio generated ticker). If you pay attention closely to Sport Today and Asia Business Report on BBC World News (which is handled by the Red Bee Playout), the ticker/strap color is “extra red” than the regular tickers.

Under normal circumstances, Red Bee Pres would not generate the ticker and strap during TOTH live broadcasts since the studio gallery would be responsible for handling the ticker. However, if there are programming changes (such as today’s extended newscasts due to the breaking events), Red Bee Pres may accidentally generate their own ticker, covering the studio gallery generated ticker. In this case, you may noticed the strap will not be removed even when the DOG (BBC World News logo) shows up during the titles and outros of live broadcasts...

That explains why it looks a bit disjointed (maybe a pixel off). But I don’t get ABR here for the most part in North America and Sport Today for the most part they’re preempted. When they do appear there’s no ticker.
JF
JF World News
dvboy posted:
Is the Film Review done live or is it pre-recorded earlier?

I suppose when 5 Live's Kermode and Mayo moves to 1500-1700 in June it'll have to be live, or recorded before the radio show.

I believe it is live. I've noticed during the 5 on a Friday they always do a preview to Sportsday just before 17:45, something they never do on other days. I presume this is so Mark Kermode/Jason Solomons can get seated and ready.

Sometimes it is recorded after during the Six depending on breaking news
:-(
A former member
When did martin stanford move to BBC world news?
GM
Gary McEwan
When did martin stanford move to BBC world news?

Been there for a while now. He's not frequent but he pops up now and then.
:-(
A former member
How he’s not like the biggest name in tv news, I’ve no idea. Great presenter whose always been ahead of the curve.
RN
Rolling News
Regarding The Film Review, where Mark Kermode sits during the segment, is this the only time a guest sits on that side of the desk? Whenever I watch something from C like the Five or if I happen to catch a World bulletin the guest is always sat to the left of the presenter.
SS
SuperSajuuk
Regarding The Film Review, where Mark Kermode sits during the segment, is this the only time a guest sits on that side of the desk? Whenever I watch something from C like the Five or if I happen to catch a World bulletin the guest is always sat to the left of the presenter.

Dateline London has some guests sitting in a similar position, but generally all guests sit at the desk are as you described, presumably because it's easier for them to exit from the studio without being picked up by any cameras or microphones.

Newer posts