« Topics
JKDerry1,526 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
Does someone at Channel 5 have an obsession with the royal family? Every Saturday night, usually from 7pm to 10pm it is another royal family documentary.

Surely these programmes do not get good ratings, but Channel 5 must be happy with their performance, as they keep getting this time slot.

Tonight we have yet again Inside Windsor Castle after the news at 7.10, and we have seen this over and over again. How many times can you rehash a programme like this?

9pm - Scandals in the Palace, which is advertised as new. But, as said on here before, rehashed over and over again.

10.30pm - A Royal Night Out, a truly dull 2015 film about Princess Margaret and her to be Queen sister on VE night 1945.

Since Viacom took over Channel 5, more royal programmes have followed.
Reece24271 posts since 16 Mar 2017
Anglia (West) Look East
I doubt Games Night will be recommissioned. They dumped one random episode around New Year. Then the series running now has already been shifted back an hour to 11. Always a sign of poor ratings

If I remember correctly, the NY episode done relatively well in the 10pm Saturday slot. If C5 put it on Saturdays (or potentially Sundays) early summer (Late June) alongside Blind Date and Win Your Wish List, it could do well.
gottago2,799 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
I doubt Games Night will be recommissioned. They dumped one random episode around New Year. Then the series running now has already been shifted back an hour to 11. Always a sign of poor ratings

If I remember correctly, the NY episode done relatively well in the 10pm Saturday slot.
It didn't, it got 600k which was a good few hundred thousand less than the rest of the night. This run has been getting a very poor 300k.
Juicy Joe1,470 posts since 25 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today

If I remember correctly, the NY episode done relatively well in the 10pm Saturday slot.
It didn't, it got 600k which was a good few hundred thousand less than the rest of the night. This run has been getting a very poor 300k.

Not sure why cos I find it to be very enjoyable and relaxing to watch!! Disappointed it wasn't on last night till 11pm.
kernow1,230 posts since 18 Jan 2006
I've noticed it too. I think they might have experimented with different programming and discovered there was an older-skewing audience for royal docs at that time.

It's probably because they know they can't compete ratings-wise with the likes of Britain's Got Talent, the Voice, etc., which will attract younger and bigger audiences, so are targeting viewers who don't want to watch these programmes.

They know they won't get massive viewing figures, which will reflect the relatively low budget and constant repackaging of the royal documentaries. They end up showing their 'better' documentaries on other days when they know they can get better ratings.

They probably think it's better to do this, than to commission high budget programmes to compete with the other channels, which would probably flop in the ratings.
VMPhil gave kudos
London Lite10,295 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
The last time C5 put in any real effort on a Saturday night was when they had EFL highlights, but they clearly didn't work viewer wise, so putting on repeats of Royal docs works for them at a fraction of the budget spent on football.
kernow1,230 posts since 18 Jan 2006
Well I’d argue commissioning Blind Date and Gino’s Win Your Wish List shows some effort.

Blind Date has been shown on Sunday since returning this year, and Gino's Win Your Wish List has only had one series so far, which ended in December last year (although the last episode was billed as Series 2, Episode 1 on Digiguide).
London Lite gave kudos
Jonwo (previously Jonwo87) 524 posts since 20 Sep 2007
I've noticed it too. I think they might have experimented with different programming and discovered there was an older-skewing audience for royal docs at that time.

It's probably because they know they can't compete ratings-wise with the likes of Britain's Got Talent, the Voice, etc., which will attract younger and bigger audiences, so are targeting viewers who don't want to watch these programmes.

They know they won't get massive viewing figures, which will reflect the relatively low budget and constant repackaging of the royal documentaries. They end up showing their 'better' documentaries on other days when they know they can get better ratings.

They probably think it's better to do this, than to commission high budget programmes to compete with the other channels, which would probably flop in the ratings.

It's doing fairly well for them, they've been doing factual on Saturdays for a while but I think Ben Frow said that when BBC One or ITV aren't showing much on Saturdays during the summer, that when they'll have entertainment shows.