« Topics
Markymark6,868 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
I'm wondering, how often were the Channel 4 break fillers seen by 1991/92? The breaks seemed to get filled more and more as the years went on. I'm presuming C4 were still putting them out right till the end of 92 even if they weren't being seen.

I presume so too. I was a student in the TSW region when C4 started. There were no ads at all for the first two months, TSW started inserting them early-mid Jan 1983. I don't think TSW could be bothered, the combined effects of the Equity strike, and the fact only about 50% of TSW's region could receive C4 from the outset.

On the other hand (like YTV it seems) TVS filled every single break with something from day 1 to the 31 Dec 92
Si-Co gave kudos
bluecortina850 posts since 26 Jul 2012
I'm wondering, how often were the Channel 4 break fillers seen by 1991/92? The breaks seemed to get filled more and more as the years went on. I'm presuming C4 were still putting them out right till the end of 92 even if they weren't being seen.

C4 never put out break fillers, all they ever put out was a holding slide during the commercial breaks. A local ITV company could either ‘fill’ a shortfall in their local advertising material within that break by putting in ‘stuff’ like COI’s or simply return to the C4 holding slide. I don’t think you could even put out a TV Times.
Rexogamer gave kudos

C4 never put out break fillers, all they ever put out was a holding slide during the commercial breaks. A local ITV company could either ‘fill’ a shortfall in their local advertising material within that break by putting in ‘stuff’ like COI’s or simply return to the C4 holding slide. I don’t think you could even put out a TV Times.

I think James was referring to C4’s captions being break fillers ?

In the early months of C4 the break fillers were sometimes animated, basically by C4 pres stretching the capabilities of the Astons, and the DVE they had at their disposal.

Somewhere on You Tube is a Christmas break filler where a camera pans up and down the C4 tree !
Si-Co2,141 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I think, whether we choose to call them “captions and music”, “break fillers”, “interval slides” or whatever, everyone is aware of what we are talking about. I wonder what the internal name for them was within Channel 4.

As the example Steve has linked to suggests, many of them - even from the very early days - were more than just a caption or slide with text superimposed. There were several that were films, such as Christmassy scenes, water birds, driver’s cab views, and helicopter footage of London. There were moving graphics with the “4” symbol, or parts of it, flying round the screen making various patterns - even pages from 4-Tel advertising upcoming programmes.

Rather than the opposite, as time went by the captions became less animated, but some interesting graphics were still being produced and used right up to the end of 1992 - sometimes in the style of the current C4 promo package with the “keep an eye on 4” tagline included on the slides in the early 90s. They did tend to appear less and less over time, but there are numerous examples on YouTube of commercial-free breaks, the latest one I’ve seen dating from late December 1992.

They rarely appeared on Thames/LWT, YTV and possibly never appeared on TVS. They came and went on Tyne Tees until the end of 1984 - sometimes there would be a few months of little or no ads off-peak, then for a while every break was filled, then back to part-filled breaks. Over the Christmas period ads seemed to be scarce, especially when popular shows were being shown on ITV. I think the break captions were quite a regular sight in smaller regions like Border and UTV, right up until 1992, and they lingered around for quite a while on TSW.

I’d be surprised if TV Times promotions couldn’t be used to fill up breaks - often the proper “adverts” for TV Times would be seen on C4 in a break otherwise comprising only PIFs. LWT sometimes inserted a “slide and voice” ad for the magazine at the end of breaks - perhaps even voiced live. LWT inserted live continuity onto C4 for a while and had a dedicated booth and announcer to do so - C4 apparently weren’t too happy that regions like Thames and LWT were opting out of their continuity links and using their own announcers to cross-promote local programmes! AFAIK only the two London stations did this - Thames playing pre-records and LWT voicing them live, but legally any station could have done so had they so wished.
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
Rexogamer gave kudos
LWT inserted live continuity onto C4 for a while and had a dedicated booth and announcer to do so - C4 apparently weren’t too happy that regions like Thames and LWT were opting out of their continuity links and using their own announcers to cross-promote local programmes! AFAIK only the two London stations did this - Thames playing pre-records and LWT voicing them live, but legally any station could have done so had they so wished.

The local continuity slots were certainly approved by C4, the slots were properly scheduled opt points. One of bluecortina’s posts up thread implies TVS did them too, though I never (knowingly) saw one.

I can't find the C4 Christmas tree 'video' break filler, but I did stumble across this YTV ad
in the middle of a C4 break (The actor in it is Chris Langham)

https://youtu.be/Pu3uamvKq2U?t=83
Last edited by Markymark on 16 April 2019 8:50am - 2 times in total
Rexogamer gave kudos
bluecortina850 posts since 26 Jul 2012
LWT inserted live continuity onto C4 for a while and had a dedicated booth and announcer to do so - C4 apparently weren’t too happy that regions like Thames and LWT were opting out of their continuity links and using their own announcers to cross-promote local programmes! AFAIK only the two London stations did this - Thames playing pre-records and LWT voicing them live, but legally any station could have done so had they so wished.

The local continuity slots were certainly approved by C4, the slots were properly scheduled opt points. One of bluecortina’s posts up thread implies TVS did them too, though I never (knowingly) saw one.

Yes, the local continuity slots were ‘approved’ and scheduled. It would be unthinkable to opt out of C4’s own continuity willy nilly. I know nothing of TVS’s abilities to do this, I suspect they had no facility to do it.

Yes, the local continuity slots were ‘approved’ and scheduled. It would be unthinkable to opt out of C4’s own continuity willy nilly. I know nothing of TVS’s abilities to do this, I suspect they had no facility to do it.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure which ITV company you were referring to earlier regarding the pres facilities
ttt
YTV *very occasionally* opted out to provide their own links on C4.

TT didn't.
Si-Co2,141 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Here’s an example of Thames local continuity being heard on Channel 4:

And an example of LWT’s local continuity being heard on Channel 4:

In both cases, the uploader has cut out the ads. Notice how the cue dot disappears as the ITV station opts out “early”.

I only discovered relatively recently that some ITV stations did their own announcements on C4. Was the intention to promote local ITV programming that a national announcement by C4 obviously couldn’t cover?
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
Rexogamer gave kudos