The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters & Rotas

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
It always amuses me how people on this forum think that when the BBC need a presenting shift covered they can just get whoever they want, when in reality it's probably offered out to any presenters and given to the first to sign up.

If Tim Wilcox isn't covering shifts it's probably because he can't/doesn't want/need to cover those shifts, not because he hasn't been "drafted in".
:-(
A former member
Don’t be silly. Tim sits in his car outside New Broadcasting House for 18 hours a day waiting for his services to be called upon.
WO
Worzel
dvboy posted:
It always amuses me how people on this forum think that when the BBC need a presenting shift covered they can just get whoever they want, when in reality it's probably offered out to any presenters and given to the first to sign up.

If Tim Wilcox isn't covering shifts it's probably because he can't/doesn't want/need to cover those shifts, not because he hasn't been "drafted in".

Then what happens if no one's available/wants to do certain vacant slots? They're going to have to be filled some how.
LL
London Lite Founding member
dvboy posted:

And with it being the Easter break, there will some cover presenters who viewers won't normally see. It's a similar thing for the network reporting shifts. These can be filled by regional reporters, such as Sarah Walton from Look Levy who was covering the climate protests in London for the NC and BBC London News today.
NE
Newsroom
For me at least... the BBC News Channel is becoming unwatchable, I just can’t deal with the lack of experience from relief anchors. I’d rather watch CNN Domestic and flick over if something U.K./EURO relevant happens.

Very sad state of affairs.

I switch off when Burack is on. I can’t cope.
LL
London Lite Founding member

If you mean Lukwesa Burak, fantastic when she presented the overnight shift on Sky News and on Al Jazeera English, but can't gel to her delivery on the NC. It may be down to the NC's style rather than her ability though.
MI
michaelb
It looks like the News channel have cut down on the number of freelance relief presenters generally, as a whole. For example the likes of Vicky Young, Rebecca Jones, Julian Worricker, Lukwesa Burack and Shaun Ley regularly cover these days.

Lukwesa is freelance.
JO
Josh
It looks like the News channel have cut down on the number of freelance relief presenters generally, as a whole. For example the likes of Vicky Young, Rebecca Jones, Julian Worricker, Lukwesa Burack and Shaun Ley regularly cover these days.

Lukwesa is freelance.

As it was already stated...
RN
Rolling News
Josh posted:

Lukwesa is freelance.

As it was already stated...

No, the original poster stated that the number of freelancers on screen had been reduced. He then went on to list presenters who appear who are not freelance, hence poster number 2 stating that Lukwesa is freelance...
ST
South Today

If you mean Lukwesa Burak, fantastic when she presented the overnight shift on Sky News and on Al Jazeera English, but can't gel to her delivery on the NC. It may be down to the NC's style rather than her ability though.

I completely agree! I find her unwatchable too. More Shaun Ley please... absolute superb delivery!
RN
Rolling News
Today's dreadful news of the burning of Notre Dame and the coverage by the BBC had led me to writing this.

I've no idea how pres scheduling works at the BBC these days.. (I did in the 90's)... but in recent months it's been beyond acceptable.

Lets's start with Geeta Guru Murphy. Totally unacceptable to cover today's awful events, she was terrible. I always turn to the BBC, but having lived in the US, I usually have CNN domestic on at home in London and so stuck with that and made a good choice.

Sean Lay - seriously?
Lukwesa Burak - She is entirely dreadful at breaking news, last weekend being one prime example.

Where on earth are Gosling, Hill, Gracie, Owen, anyone... (even Bland albeit a new face.. though totally competent). I just don't understand how the BBC can schedule such dire presenters for a channel that can switch from an hourly 'normal' running order to a serious breaking news story and not replace people who to 'US' a small minority of the viewing public, are a dire mess.

What happened last weekend that Lukwesa was so dreadful at?
AS
AlexS
Today's dreadful news of the burning of Notre Dame and the coverage by the BBC had led me to writing this.

I've no idea how pres scheduling works at the BBC these days.. (I did in the 90's)... but in recent months it's been beyond acceptable.

Lets's start with Geeta Guru Murphy. Totally unacceptable to cover today's awful events, she was terrible. I always turn to the BBC, but having lived in the US, I usually have CNN domestic on at home in London and so stuck with that and made a good choice.

Sean Lay - seriously?
Lukwesa Burak - She is entirely dreadful at breaking news, last weekend being one prime example.

Where on earth are Gosling, Hill, Gracie, Owen, anyone... (even Bland albeit a new face.. though totally competent). I just don't understand how the BBC can schedule such dire presenters for a channel that can switch from an hourly 'normal' running order to a serious breaking news story and not replace people who to 'US' a small minority of the viewing public, are a dire mess.

Nicholas Owen has seemingly retired from live TV (although I think is still presenting radio on Classic FM), Joanna Gosling has been doing the vast majority of editions of Newsroom live Monday-Thursday and has also increasingly covering the 9 (and a couple of editions of the One), Carrie Gracie does the 9 on Mondays, Newsroom Live on Fridays, Dateline and may appear one other day, Ben Brown has been doing the one and five on Fridays, the one most Wednesdays and Thursdays and the morning shift on Sundays.
It is about time that the evening shift got a new set of permanent presenters with Martine now seemingly only working 2 days a week, with one of them being on afternoon live as often as not, and Clive only doing a handful of days a month on the channel at the very most.
I would personally be in favour of Afternoon Live being extended to 6pm and coming from C on a permanent basis with Huw taking over the six whenever George isn't about and dumping the five. It would also make sense for the same presenter to do the nine and Newsroom Live on a more permanent basis rather than the current situation in which they are scheduled to have separate presenters but with all of the presenters covering for each other when they are unavailable.
Last edited by AlexS on 16 April 2019 7:41pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts