The Newsroom

#NotreDame | Breaking News Coverage

Live Coverage (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
My summary...

CNN was absolutely brilliant until Cuomo came on and really did go overboard with the religious aspect of the story, and regardless of his own well documented faith (Catholic), Global TV was not the place to overly express it. Brianna was just fantastic.

BBC - A case of bad luck. Geeta Guru-Murthy being on Domestic and literally bundling her way through a deep swamp of sh@t should have been noticed by execs and taken off air. Yes, she's years of experience at Breaking News, but if this is her standard - enough is enough. Things didn't improve as rightly put by other members of this forum until Kay/Price took over... To have GGM return was a big mistake. I can't imagine the quandary of dragging some off air... (even though CNN do it with Blitzer). Outside Source needs to take a back seat at times such as these, OR, stick Ross Atkins in a studio with someone else... Made no sense.

Cannot believe Geeta is back for the remainder of her shift Solo. DIRE

Maybe they could have drafted Krishnan in from the other side? Laughing

Seriously though, her coverage between 18:30-19:00 was absolutely appalling and didn't really improve much after 20:00. The shouting, getting excited, ignoring what guests were saying, then seemingly sneering/sniggering/laughing and excessively saying 'I'm going on holiday to Paris in a few days' plus dropping several clangers were characteristics of someone being drawn and consumed into the news and not delivering the news calmly and accurately to the viewer.

I suppose they could've asked Clive Myrie to stay on and do the 8pm hour (he was presenting the Six).

I've never been a particular fan of Geeta's delivery style, but tonight it was a poor show by all accounts.
Last edited by Worzel on 15 April 2019 11:00pm - 3 times in total
VM
VMPhil
Sky have gone to the paper review (with Carole Malone, so best avoided) but the BBC are still in rolling news mode.

No. Geeta is doing The Papers now on the NC.

What do you mean 'no'? What I said was true when I posted it.
LL
London Lite Founding member
TF1 have now returned to the normal schedule.
NE
Newsroom
My summary...

CNN was absolutely brilliant until Cuomo came on and really did go overboard with the religious aspect of the story, and regardless of his own well documented faith (Catholic), Global TV was not the place to overly express it. Brianna was just fantastic.

BBC - A case of bad luck. Geeta Guru-Murthy being on Domestic and literally bundling her way through a deep swamp of sh@t should have been noticed by execs and taken off air. Yes, she's years of experience at Breaking News, but if this is her standard - enough is enough. Things didn't improve as rightly put by other members of this forum until Kay/Price took over... To have GGM return was a big mistake. I can't imagine the quandary of dragging some off air... (even though CNN do it with Blitzer). Outside Source needs to take a back seat at times such as these, OR, stick Ross Atkins in a studio with someone else... Made no sense.

Cannot believe Geeta is back for the remainder of her shift Solo. DIRE

Maybe they could have drafted Krishnan in from the other side? Laughing

Seriously though, her coverage between 18:30-19:00 was absolutely appalling and didn't really improve much after 20:00. The shouting, ignoring what guests were saying, then seemingly sneering/sniggering/laughing and saying excessively 'I'm going on holiday to Paris in a few days' were characteristics of someone being drawn and consumed into the news and not delivering the news to the viewer.

I suppose they could've asked Clive Myrie to stay on and do the 8pm hour (he was presenting the Six).

I've never been a particular fan of Geeta's delivery style, but tonight it was a poor show by all accounts.

Poor show??? I hate to kick someone when they are down (by a number of people on this forum), but she really was absolutely terrible. And yes, I agree, and as some people have said - shocked.
BK
bkman1990
Sky have gone to the paper review (with Carole Malone, so best avoided) but the BBC are still in rolling news mode.

No. Geeta is doing The Papers now on the NC.

What do you mean 'no'? What I said was true when I posted it.

I may have confused myself there. I'm sorry about that. BBC NC was doing The Papers covering the story of the Notre Dame fire so I should have said yes. The Papers will be back with Geeta at 11:30pm.
NE
Newsroom
Oh god..... Geeta is back at 11pm. Switching to World and Newsday! Rico and Kasia.
NE
Newsroom
I'm watching both BBC Domestic and BBC World and the difference in coverage is beyond comprehension.
MA
Markyboy81
I expect The Minch to be live in Paris tomorrow for Breakfast
BB
BBI45
Today I learned (or yesterday by the time I post this), that there is also a C News-branded Newspaper.

LL
London Lite Founding member
BFMTV are live through the night with a double headed bulletin. Normally they're pre-recorded between 1-4.30am local time with a loop of the midnight bulletin.
JA
JAS84
Isn't Christian Fraser in France?

I would assume either Christian or Katya Adler will be dispatched to the scene.

Given it is school half-term in the UK he may be on annual leave.
Not Half Term. Easter.
BK
bkman1990
Chris Cuomo spoke beautifully to Anderson Cooper on CNN a few minutes ago about the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral.

Newer posts