The Newsroom

#NotreDame | Breaking News Coverage

Live Coverage (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Windsor Castle must have been the last major UK fire of historical importance? But like Windsor, Notre-Dame will be rebuilt and renovated.

There was the Cutty Sark as well, which of course was rebuilt better than ever.

Not a notable landmark, but obviously Grenfell Tower is the most recent, serious fire in the UK.
BM
BM11
Notre Dame looks a lot more damaged than Windsor castle (and the renovations that seem to have caused the fire less extensive so more was lost.). Not sure if it will be restorable.
MA
Markymark
Windsor Castle must have been the last major UK fire of historical importance? But like Windsor, Notre-Dame will be rebuilt and renovated.

Not a notable landmark, but obviously Grenfell Tower is the most recent, serious fire in the UK.

You can’t really compare the two. Grenfell was a huge tragedy for loss of life. Hopefully Notre Dame will not result in any loss of life, but rather a huge loss of heritage and history.
London Lite and BBI45 gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan
Chris Cuomo now taking over from Brianna Keilar over on CNN - hopefully the standard of coverage keeps up especially as Melissa Bell and Jim Bittermann who are both fantastic journalists are on the scene.

Hopeful thinking, Cuomo is one of those overdramatic ''me me me'' anchors plus loves to preach.

I presume Hala Gorani was off tonight because it would be quite a surprise if CNNI didn't use her, their French expert, for the coverage.
LS
LewisS
Katty Kay (I think) sounds like she's choking up about this. I don't blame her.
WO
Worzel

You can’t really compare the two. Grenfell was a huge tragedy for loss of life. Hopefully Notre Dame will not result in any loss of life, but rather a huge loss of heritage and history.

I wasn't comparing the two directly. Just in terms of large and serious fires in the UK, Grenfell is the most recent.
WO
Worzel
So what are BBC News going to do at 8? I'd leave Katty Kay, Matthew Price and Jon Sopel on personally.

The three of them are doing a pretty good job.

The other option I suppose is Geeta Guru Murthy and Ros Atkins with a special in E?
BM
BM11
Katty Kay (I think) sounds like she's choking up about this. I don't blame her.

The latest reports are that even the walls are not safe and may have to be demolished (even through the fire is now out where it started having burnt everything.)
WA
watchingtv
The switch

LS
LewisS
Lucy Williams on scene reporting
MO
Mouseboy33
I first saw the initial reports on Twitter when it was just smoke and immediately put on BFM PARIS and they were already in rolling coverage. I could be wrong, but they were already covering the story as a major LOCAL story before BFMTV (national) was in rolling coverage and then it quicky became a national and then a global story. I dont much speak French, but the gist of the BFM PARIS coverage was about the fire itself, but it was also about the pompier response, street closures and Metro systems impacts. And they had double headed coverage in place and a live camera on scene. Well done to BFM PARIS.
BF
BFGArmy
Chris Cuomo now taking over from Brianna Keilar over on CNN - hopefully the standard of coverage keeps up especially as Melissa Bell and Jim Bittermann who are both fantastic journalists are on the scene.

Hopeful thinking, Cuomo is one of those overdramatic ''me me me'' anchors plus loves to preach.

I presume Hala Gorani was off tonight because it would be quite a surprise if CNNI didn't use her, their French expert, for the coverage.

Either that or they're getting her on the first train to Paris that they can.

Newer posts